Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Grizz's 8' - 300 gal + 60 gal + 30 gal OMG Build!! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96944)

The Grizz 04-19-2013 02:06 AM

Grizz's 8' - 300 gal + 60 gal + 30 gal OMG Build!!

Alright boys & girls here we go again........FINALLY!!

I have been trying to get this build going for well over a yr now & have been thinking / planning almost everyday.

This is the concept drawing that I mocked up many many many months ago & doesn't include the 60 gal cube or the 30 gal cube.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps8b65840e.jpg

The Grizz 04-19-2013 02:09 AM

First step was to replace the laminate floor where the new tank is going to be.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...psc3cc49ba.jpg

Then came the building of the main stand & the 2 towers.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...486ad01be0.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...c08a8307d2.jpg

Main stand painted and into the house.
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...psfa32e721.jpg

jorjef 04-19-2013 02:20 AM

Looks great... Shortage of wall plugs for power maybe.:question: where do you buy your steel from?

The Grizz 04-19-2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorjef (Post 812716)
Looks great... Shortage of wall plugs for power maybe.:question: where do you buy your steel from?

Going to be running a dedicated circuit from the power panel in my boiler / pool filter room that is downstairs & opposite side of the room once the tank is plumbed, pushed back to the wall & towers are in place.

I have a couple local steel supplies here in town that I buy from.

The Grizz 04-19-2013 02:47 AM

Now that the stand is in the floor is done & stand is in the house I guess it is time for a few LITTLE pieces of glass

Bottom, sides & back together.
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps7c6ede90.jpg

Bottom of the overflow setting
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps24758972.jpg

Front of the overflow & back cleat done.
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...psfeae46e9.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps8e6662df.jpg

Nano 04-19-2013 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 807494)
Sure you will tell the whole world before me!! And here I thought we were friends :twised:

Congrats dude!!

Sound familiar?! :twised:

Bout' friggen time dude! Glad to see some progress!

What's the status on the front pane? Get a new piece yet?

The Grizz 04-19-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nano (Post 812728)
Sound familiar?! :twised:

Bout' friggen time dude! Glad to see some progress!

What's the status on the front pane? Get a new piece yet?

What you talkin bout Willis!! You seen pics of the stand before anyone else :razz:

Front pane is going one this weekend when I have more help around, it's a touch heavy.

Nano 04-19-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 812731)
What you talkin bout Willis!! You seen pics of the stand before anyone else :razz:

Front pane is going one this weekend when I have more help around, it's a touch heavy.

dang I'd help but Avas first bday party is this weekend! Good to hear you got some new glass. And yeah I guess I did see it first :-P

Zoaelite 04-19-2013 03:15 AM

This thing is a BEAST! Subscribed.

The Grizz 04-19-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nano (Post 812732)
dang I'd help but Avas first bday party is this weekend! Good to hear you got some new glass. And yeah I guess I did see it first :-P

Didn't replace the front starphire, I actually polished out the scratches.

The Grizz 04-19-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoaelite (Post 812733)
This thing is a BEAST! Subscribed.

True that!! I though my 165 was big but after looking at them both in the same room, IT'S HUGE!!

lockrookie 04-19-2013 03:45 AM

Following as always

mrhasan 04-19-2013 03:45 AM

You went on a rampage with the drill didn't ya? :razz:

I was just wondering whether the 8 holes below the coast-to-coast is for return (I don't know anything about close loop so please don't mind my ignorance :redface:)? If so, won't the water drain till the lowest holes in case of power failure?

Delphinus 04-19-2013 03:50 AM

I do not envy you, sir, your future water changes. However, everything else, yes, jealous. Carry on..

The Grizz 04-19-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 812743)
You went on a rampage with the drill didn't ya? :razz:

I was just wondering whether the 8 holes below the coast-to-coast is for return (I don't know anything about close loop so please don't mind my ignorance :redface:)? If so, won't the water drain till the lowest holes in case of power failure?

No closed loop ever again especially on this tank. In therory yes it would drain to lowest point in the event of a power outage but I will have several check valves as well are a large battery back up for each return pump.

The Grizz 04-19-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 812745)
I do not envy you, sir, your future water changes. However, everything else, yes, jealous. Carry on..

Planning a auto water change system as well, going all out this time.

mrhasan 04-19-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 812746)
No closed loop ever again especially on this tank. In therory yes it would drain to lowest point in the event of a power outage but I will have several check valves as well are a large battery back up for each return pump.

Aha. Now it makes sense. Batteries....very reef safe (as long as its outside the tank :razz:)

The Grizz 04-19-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 812749)
Aha. Now it makes sense. Batteries....very reef safe (as long as its outside the tank :razz:)

And if the power goes out for to long I just take my truck down to my power pole & plug my welder into a socket, will run the whole house.

mrhasan 04-19-2013 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 812751)
And if the power goes out for to long I just take my truck down to my power pole & plug my welder into a socket, will run the whole house.

So I am assuming you plan on running the pumps even during maintenance?

(Gonna learn a lot from this build for my...ummm...future build :D)

The Grizz 04-19-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 812760)
So I am assuming you plan on running the pumps even during maintenance?

(Gonna learn a lot from this build for my...ummm...future build :D)

No there will be gate valve to completely shut off ALL FLOW if I need to but using the DC pumps I can decrease the flow slowing to make sure the check valves seal shut. Once I get to the plumbing you will understand better.

mrhasan 04-19-2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 812762)
No there will be gate valve to completely shut off ALL FLOW if I need to but using the DC pumps I can decrease the flow slowing to make sure the check valves seal shut. Once I get to the plumbing you will understand better.

Awesome :D Can't wait!

FishyFishy! 04-19-2013 01:16 PM

This is gonna be siiiiiiick!

sphelps 04-19-2013 01:27 PM

This looks good! And interesting as well, do you have any plumbing schematics you can post?

Skimmerking 04-19-2013 02:44 PM

looking great Greg well done

mseepman 04-19-2013 03:56 PM

Looking awesome! Can't wait to see how you plumb this bad boy!

The Grizz 04-19-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy! (Post 812793)
This is gonna be siiiiiiick!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer King (Post 812813)
looking great Greg well done

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseepman (Post 812836)
Looking awesome! Can't wait to see how you plumb this bad boy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 812795)
This looks good! And interesting as well, do you have any plumbing schematics you can post?

Thanks guys, it will be a challenge to plumb but I do have a plan in my head on how I want to do the plumbing, now as long as I can get it out of my head and make it look they way I want is another question. I am going to be doing a dual bean animal style OF and still have to divide the OF box in half.

kien 04-19-2013 04:13 PM

wow, looking good! And here I thought that this tank was just one of your many pipe dreams :-)

:pop2:

lastlight 04-19-2013 04:32 PM

going to be really nice the ultra thin skim of the surface you'll be able to do with that thing. clever idea to porop the glass up too!

Snappy 04-19-2013 05:34 PM

Looks like a cool project. That is a lot of holes drilled in the back. What pump are you going to use to run the closed loop?

kien 04-19-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snappy (Post 812864)
What pump are you going to use to run the closed loop?

:lol: ya Greg, tell us all about your closed loop !! We want to know more bout this awesome closed loop you're planning for this tank. We all know how much you LOVE closed loops.

mseepman 04-19-2013 05:47 PM

I assume that you've read up on all the bean animal stuff, but just thought I would mention how its been brought up several times on his RC thread how tough it can be to make a double BA setup work the way you want it to. I run a regular BA and love it...though I've had some challenges with it initially.

Bblinks 04-19-2013 06:05 PM

Looks great. you now have another groupie.

michika 04-19-2013 06:23 PM

And another one.

The Grizz 04-19-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 812843)
wow, looking good! And here I thought that this tank was just one of your many pipe dreams :-)

:pop2:

I to thought it was never going to happen but it is on like donkey kong now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 812849)
going to be really nice the ultra thin skim of the surface you'll be able to do with that thing. clever idea to prop the glass up too!

It was a very ingenious thought I had for sure, wasn't sure how at first how I was going to get the bottom of the OF set but I hit me like a bad case of the tropical runs. :twised:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snappy (Post 812864)
Looks like a cool project. That is a lot of holes drilled in the back. What pump are you going to use to run the closed loop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 812865)
:lol: ya Greg, tell us all about your closed loop !! We want to know more bout this awesome closed loop you're planning for this tank. We all know how much you LOVE closed loops.

ABSOLUTELY NO closed loop, those are all return lines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseepman (Post 812871)
I assume that you've read up on all the bean animal stuff, but just thought I would mention how its been brought up several times on his RC thread how tough it can be to make a double BA setup work the way you want it to. I run a regular BA and love it...though I've had some challenges with it initially.

Yes I have read up a lot on the BA and most are only taking on 2000 gph, I will be pushing A LOT more flow. There is going to be 4 DC10000 pumps for my returns that way I can control how much flow I get in every 2' of tank length.

FishyFishy! 04-19-2013 07:14 PM

Did you not like your closed loop system on the 165? Why would you not do it again?

I'm planning my closed loop right now and it would be nice to know why you chose not to do it again lol.

sphelps 04-19-2013 07:22 PM

FYI you could plumb that tank in a way to prevent it from draining without the need to rely on check valves or batteries. You could also run some of the pumps inline with the overflow to form a "sort of" closed loop, it would prevent the massive amount of sump turnover :lol: I can't help it, I just can't take it anymore, I need to know your plumbing plans. 4 return pumps and glass that looks like swiss cheese, if that doesn't get you existed nothing will :redface:

The Grizz 04-19-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishyFishy! (Post 812891)
Did you not like your closed loop system on the 165? Why would you not do it again?

I'm planning my closed loop right now and it would be nice to know why you chose not to do it again lol.

If you look back on my 165 build you will see how It was done but to describe it the way the owner of Ocean Motions told me how to do it was like this:

One 1.5 intake hole in the tank with a manifold type system that had 4 -1.5" intake port spread across the back of the tank, all with a screen to keep fish from getting sucked in, I used some perforated acrylic that had 1/8" holes in it. They had to be cleaned on a regular basis so they had to be accessible & when sand got in the intake and hit my OM 4way the drum would get stuck. If it didnt get stuck it would grind groves into the drom and housing which had totally wreaked my 4way.

kien 04-19-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 812892)
glass that looks like swiss cheese, if that doesn't get you existed nothing will :redface:

So far all we know is that those holes are for his closed loop.

The Grizz 04-19-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 812892)
FYI you could plumb that tank in a way to prevent it from draining without the need to rely on check valves or batteries. You could also run some of the pumps inline with the overflow to form a "sort of" closed loop, it would prevent the massive amount of sump turnover :lol: I can't help it, I just can't take it anymore, I need to know your plumbing plans. 4 return pumps and glass that looks like swiss cheese, if that doesn't get you existed nothing will :redface:

Ok Steve I will give you a quick run down..........

Going to have 4 Dc10000 pump each with a 1" SCWD for every 2 parallel holes. Going to set the SCWD's so that the flow is alternating opposite the hole on either side. Now I know that they will probably not stay in sync but the flow will still be different every 2' instead of constant the whole length.

The Grizz 04-19-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 812894)
So far all we know is that those holes are for his closed loop.

NO DAMN IT!! NO CLOSED LOOP!!! :fish: