Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Grizz's 8' - 300 gal + 60 gal + 30 gal OMG Build!! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96944)

The Grizz 04-19-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoaelite (Post 812733)
This thing is a BEAST! Subscribed.

True that!! I though my 165 was big but after looking at them both in the same room, IT'S HUGE!!

lockrookie 04-19-2013 03:45 AM

Following as always

mrhasan 04-19-2013 03:45 AM

You went on a rampage with the drill didn't ya? :razz:

I was just wondering whether the 8 holes below the coast-to-coast is for return (I don't know anything about close loop so please don't mind my ignorance :redface:)? If so, won't the water drain till the lowest holes in case of power failure?

Delphinus 04-19-2013 03:50 AM

I do not envy you, sir, your future water changes. However, everything else, yes, jealous. Carry on..

The Grizz 04-19-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 812743)
You went on a rampage with the drill didn't ya? :razz:

I was just wondering whether the 8 holes below the coast-to-coast is for return (I don't know anything about close loop so please don't mind my ignorance :redface:)? If so, won't the water drain till the lowest holes in case of power failure?

No closed loop ever again especially on this tank. In therory yes it would drain to lowest point in the event of a power outage but I will have several check valves as well are a large battery back up for each return pump.

The Grizz 04-19-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 812745)
I do not envy you, sir, your future water changes. However, everything else, yes, jealous. Carry on..

Planning a auto water change system as well, going all out this time.

mrhasan 04-19-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 812746)
No closed loop ever again especially on this tank. In therory yes it would drain to lowest point in the event of a power outage but I will have several check valves as well are a large battery back up for each return pump.

Aha. Now it makes sense. Batteries....very reef safe (as long as its outside the tank :razz:)

The Grizz 04-19-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 812749)
Aha. Now it makes sense. Batteries....very reef safe (as long as its outside the tank :razz:)

And if the power goes out for to long I just take my truck down to my power pole & plug my welder into a socket, will run the whole house.

mrhasan 04-19-2013 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 812751)
And if the power goes out for to long I just take my truck down to my power pole & plug my welder into a socket, will run the whole house.

So I am assuming you plan on running the pumps even during maintenance?

(Gonna learn a lot from this build for my...ummm...future build :D)

The Grizz 04-19-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhasan (Post 812760)
So I am assuming you plan on running the pumps even during maintenance?

(Gonna learn a lot from this build for my...ummm...future build :D)

No there will be gate valve to completely shut off ALL FLOW if I need to but using the DC pumps I can decrease the flow slowing to make sure the check valves seal shut. Once I get to the plumbing you will understand better.