Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is reefer a hobby? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63107)

Coleus 04-07-2010 04:59 AM

Is reefer a hobby?

Sometimes, i just wonder why ppl call this hobby because according to wikipedia
"A hobby is an activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation, often in one's spare time."

I know for sure to be success at reefer, you can't just take care of your tank in spare time. Sometimes, I feel like a job though i enjoy doing it.

Relaxation? Are you kidding me? I have more stress than if I don't have a tank..... Coral dying, fish got sick, leaking water, nitrate is high....

Your thoughts? I really don't think this is a hobby. What is it exactly?

DCDN 04-07-2010 05:06 AM

Any hobby can be stressful, but those times I come home from work and the moonlights are on and I just sit there watch the tank, makes it all worth it. So yaI think its a hobby.

George 04-07-2010 05:12 AM

Reefing is definitely not a hobby. I compare reefing to keeping pets (cat, dog, etc.). Basically you are taking care of some live animals, doesn't matter it's a fish, a coral or a cat. You try to provide the best environment you can, do the best you can to take care of them and see they grow. It's more involving than a hobby, IMO.

viperfish 04-07-2010 05:13 AM

Try this one:

Obsession - the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.

I think that sums it up.

DiverDude 04-07-2010 05:26 AM

You just need to adjust your perspective a little.

As a reefer, to be 'at one with the tank', you just need to smoke a little reefer and all will be well. Try it, you'll see.

I mean, your fish may all die, but you won't notice :lol:

bauder1986 04-07-2010 06:05 AM

meh, ive lost colonies of corals, ive lost fish, ive had tank burst at the seams at four in the morning and flood my bedroom, ive blown heater in tanks, lost more tanks, had insane algea blooms....its all part of the hobby and I love it! It gives me something to do! If it wasnt tough, then it wouldnt be interesting and the rewards in the end wouldnt be that great.

tlo 04-07-2010 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medhatreefguy (Post 508561)
Try this one:

Obsession - the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.

I think that sums it up.

you nailed it!

ElGuappo 04-07-2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiverDude (Post 508565)
You just need to adjust your perspective a little.

As a reefer, to be 'at one with the tank', you just need to smoke a little reefer and all will be well. Try it, you'll see.

I mean, your fish may all die, but you won't notice :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bauder1986 (Post 508578)
meh, ive lost colonies of corals, ive lost fish, ive had tank burst at the seams at four in the morning and flood my bedroom, ive blown heater in tanks, lost more tanks, had insane algea blooms....its all part of the hobby and I love it! It gives me something to do! If it wasnt tough, then it wouldnt be interesting and the rewards in the end wouldnt be that great.

Agreed.

May just be me but the larger the effort hte larger the reward.

kien 04-07-2010 06:30 AM

I have a lot of hobbies and they are all equally rewarding and annoying (at times). Mountain bike breaks down, Cameras memory card dies; bye bye vacation photos! :sad:. Cat scratches up nice new carpet. Kids taking a permanent marker to the wall. We all have the ability to make choices for ourselves right? If it was that bad I wouldn't keep fish, I wouldn't have a cat, I wouldn't take pictures, I wouldn't have kids, simple as that. Through the good times and the bad, you must find some enjoyment out of it ? If not, then simply choose to do something else, like knitting :biggrin: Although, yarn tends to tangle so that could be annoying too..

neoh 04-07-2010 06:37 AM

I find it to be a keeping of an obsessive hobby. ;)