Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Finding nitrates (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112120)

Proteus 02-10-2015 08:02 PM

Finding nitrates

Testing nitrates in one of my coral beds I am finding roughly 2ppm Nitrates. I've increased my carbon dose but still no affect on nitrate levels.
In my sump I have a rock bin to which my overflow drains into then into filter socks. Am wondering if this could be the source of no3

jordsyke 02-10-2015 09:26 PM

possibly... I find that going below 2ppm nitrates causes issues within my corals tohugh so I decrease carbon dosing to maintain nitrates between 2-5ppm

Myka 02-10-2015 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus (Post 934973)
Testing nitrates in one of my coral beds I am finding roughly 2ppm Nitrates. I've increased my carbon dose but still no affect on nitrate levels.
In my sump I have a rock bin to which my overflow drains into then into filter socks. Am wondering if this could be the source of no3

Have you confirmed this reading? If I make changes and I don't see the reaction I expect, I double check at the LFS. If there is detritus build up on the rocks or under the rocks that could be your issue, same if you don't change the socks often enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordsyke (Post 934983)
possibly... I find that going below 2ppm nitrates causes issues within my corals tohugh so I decrease carbon dosing to maintain nitrates between 2-5ppm

I agree. I think 2 ppm is perfect. That's what my tank is sitting at right now. I feed the crap out of it to achieve this. :D

Proteus 02-10-2015 11:16 PM

Never really tested against another test kit. Just against nsw.
I'm not overly worried about the nitrates. Just wondering. Other tank test lower for nitrates with larger bioload. Only difference is the rock placement

xenon 02-11-2015 12:10 AM

Detectable NO3 can be desirable so I wouldn't change anything!

Many people feed their fish like crazy to try and get something to register on the test card.

Having nitrates up to 5ppm gives SPS a deeper, richer color.

reefwars 02-11-2015 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus (Post 934973)

What's your po4 levels?

Wheelman76 02-11-2015 02:47 AM

Damn you Denny , that was my question lol

hfp75 02-11-2015 03:09 AM

I aim for 5

Proteus 02-11-2015 05:29 AM

0.06 with Hanna phosphorus checker.

Myka 02-11-2015 01:15 PM

In almost every case, you will get 0 nitrate long before you get 0 phosphate, so I don't see that being an issue. Your phosphorus to nitrate ratio makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus (Post 935003)
Never really tested against another test kit. Just against nsw.

NSW is natural seawater. I don't hink you have any of that in Devon. I think you mean ASW; artificial seawater?

The hobby-grade test kits we use suck in the grand scheme of water testing ability of the human race. I've found lots of test kits that wander with age, even well inside the expiry. It's worth a double-checking.