Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How to clean filter socks? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41714)

surgeonfish 04-27-2008 08:00 PM

How to clean filter socks?

This may seem like a dumb question but how does everyone clean their filter socks?

I just started using them. I am using a regular cycle in the washing machine. Both times when I put them in the sump my skimmer went crazy. I think their is some residual soap in the socks. Do I wash them without adding soap, add an extra rinse cycle or wash them under the tap after taking them out of the washing machine before using them?

Myka 04-27-2008 08:04 PM

I rinse the washing machine out with a small warm water rinse cycle before putting the filter socks in. :)

Black Phantom 04-27-2008 08:08 PM

I've got a hose hooked to a laundry tub that I use. Just a thumb over the end to create some pressure and voila, clean filters

christyf5 04-27-2008 08:39 PM

I just wash mine in the machine with vinegar, sometimes with baking soda. Don't do vinegar and baking soda though. Hello volcano science project :razz:

Oh and hot water = smelly, it will really stink out your house.

Occasionally I do use a bit of bleach when they're really dirty and don't clean well after one cycle. Then I put them in the dryer and leave them for weeks before I use them again (I have about 4 in rotation).

marie 04-27-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 320847)
.... Don't do vinegar and baking soda though. Hello volcano science project :razz: ...

Voice of experience?? :eek:

:lol:

JOEL 04-27-2008 08:49 PM

I use my pressure washer.

wickedfrags 04-27-2008 08:58 PM

Washing maching white cycle, warm wash, warm rinse. No detergent or bleach. Mine have lasted for years using this method.

christyf5 04-27-2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marie (Post 320852)
Voice of experience?? :eek:

:lol:

Yes, stupidity sometimes gets the best of me. Luckily it was a small scale volcano and the machine wasn't that full :razz:

atcguy 04-27-2008 10:03 PM

just hot water, turned inside out in washing machine.. NO soap or anything.. and repeat with the socks turned the other way.. Actually I have to lines draining into my sump.. I use to run 2 socks now I just have one on one line... Considering getting rid of that aswell now.. Anyone running with no socks!!???????

ferret 04-27-2008 11:07 PM

I hand washed my filter sock ( was banned by my wife to use the washing machine ) with warm water and left it in a 5gal bucket filled with hot water with an addition of diluted bleach solution, left it for overnight. Drained away the water inside the bucket and replaced with fresh tape water with an addition of prime on the next day. So far so good.