Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Grrrrrrrrrr! I hate pumps that won't restart! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73111)

Lance 02-23-2011 11:19 PM

Grrrrrrrrrr! I hate pumps that won't restart!

Why can't they come up with a submersible pump that dependably starts up again like some of the external pumps. My Reeflo Barracuda and Iwaki 70RLT only get cleaned once a year (maybe) and start back up each and every time. I've had both of them over two years and never have a problem. (The Iwaki in fact I bought used from a fellow reefer).
Submersible pumps on the other hand are a PITA! If you don't clean then regularly, half the time they won't start back up. Take it apart again and fiddle with it until it finally works. Next time I turn it off, same bloody thing.
In powerheads I find the Korallia Evo's the worst, with Tunze better and the Vortechs being better yet. Surprisingly the cheap MJ's are pretty good.
Skimmer pumps I find are especially frustrating. Atman, Aquabee, Tunze and even Eheim have all given me grief, although the Eheim is easily the better of them. The Atman in my Bubble Magus skimmer is especially bad. I just about threw it off the sundeck today. (I had to take it apart 4 times before it finally ran properly). Until they come up with a better pump I will not buy another skimmer with a submersible pump; I'll stick with Beckett's and external pumps. They might be old school and noisy but man they work well.
Submersible return pumps IMO are somewhat better than the skimmer pumps, but still not close to being as good as external. Eheim being the best of the bunch.
Ok, got it off my chest and feel a little better. Sorry for the rantings.

BlueTang<3 02-23-2011 11:42 PM

I never have any issues with my red dragons :twised:

marie 02-24-2011 12:03 AM

Dang Blue tang you beat me to it :lol:

I have cleaned my red dragon pump once in the 2 and a half years I've owned it......it starts every time :mrgreen:

Reef Pilot 02-24-2011 12:38 AM

I have a couple mag pumps, and one of them, too, wouldn't start up sometimes after powering off. I totally took apart the impeller unit, shaft, etc, cleaned every bit of Ca deposit, and it still wouldn't start consistently.

I had another mag pump that was similar, and was able to switch impeller shafts, and that solved it. In fact, both now start up every time.

It seems that the shafts and/or bores may get a wear pattern over time that causes this. By switching impeller unit parts, the wear pattern is changed around, eliminating some slack. At least that is my theory.

ALang 02-24-2011 12:38 AM

I feel your pain!

Delphinus 02-24-2011 12:55 AM

Think it's the magnet swelling maybe??

What's worrying me these days, pump related that is, is my Dart return pump is making weird noises that I swear it didn't make before. Is this normal or should I be taking it apart? It's subtle sorts of things but it's on the list of things I worry about..

Lance 02-24-2011 12:58 AM

Short of buying a Bubble King where can you buy a Red Dragon pump? They are pretty hard to find.

Lance 02-24-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 593617)
Think it's the magnet swelling maybe??

What's worrying me these days, pump related that is, is my Dart return pump is making weird noises that I swear it didn't make before. Is this normal or should I be taking it apart? It's subtle sorts of things but it's on the list of things I worry about..

Maybe pull it apart and have a look Tony. Might be just a piece of crap inside.

Skimmerking 02-24-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 593568)
Why can't they come up with a submersible pump that dependably starts up again like some of the external pumps. My Reeflo Barracuda and Iwaki 70RLT only get cleaned once a year (maybe) and start back up each and every time. I've had both of them over two years and never have a problem. (The Iwaki in fact I bought used from a fellow reefer).
Submersible pumps on the other hand are a PITA! If you don't clean then regularly, half the time they won't start back up. Take it apart again and fiddle with it until it finally works. Next time I turn it off, same bloody thing.
In powerheads I find the Korallia Evo's the worst, with Tunze better and the Vortechs being better yet. Surprisingly the cheap MJ's are pretty good.
Skimmer pumps I find are especially frustrating. Atman, Aquabee, Tunze and even Eheim have all given me grief, although the Eheim is easily the better of them. The Atman in my Bubble Magus skimmer is especially bad. I just about threw it off the sundeck today. (I had to take it apart 4 times before it finally ran properly). Until they come up with a better pump I will not buy another skimmer with a submersible pump; I'll stick with Beckett's and external pumps. They might be old school and noisy but man they work well.
Submersible return pumps IMO are somewhat better than the skimmer pumps, but still not close to being as good as external. Eheim being the best of the bunch.
Ok, got it off my chest and feel a little better. Sorry for the rantings.

Lance that is why i have a Mag drive I have nothing bad to say about them.

Skimmerking 02-24-2011 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 (Post 593580)
I never have any issues with my red dragons :twised:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm red dragon