Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Favourite Bottom (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129784)

LifeIsGreat 03-26-2020 04:07 AM

Favourite Bottom

What is your favourite tank bottom?

Dearth 03-27-2020 03:54 AM

I prefer a shallow bed of mixed coral rock and sand to accommodate multiple species of fish and inverts.
I currently have a 1 inch deep mixed bed of coral rock and course sand that literally changes shape and size daily to the gobies, pistol shrimp, sand sifting snails, sea cucumbers and power heads. I rarely have any buildup of bad stuff due to the bottom being moved so much.

Scythanith 03-27-2020 04:31 AM

Not the kind of bottoms I was thinking when I clicked on the topic.... mildly disappointed ;)

spit.fire 03-27-2020 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythanith (Post 1041898)
Not the kind of bottoms I was thinking when I clicked on the topic.... mildly disappointed ;)

i was thinking the same thing

Skimmer Juice 03-27-2020 04:55 PM

bare bottom with a white vinyl wrapped bottom panel for me

Bblinks 04-02-2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer Juice (Post 1041906)
bare bottom with a white vinyl wrapped bottom panel for me

I did that last time for more light reflecting back up to grow the underside of my heavily stocked sps corals but instead it just gave me a thick coralline algae bottom. I went with black vinyl bare bottom and it has been awesome.

IMO, if you want a sps dominant tank for ease of maintenance, I would go bare bottom or else just an inch thin bottom is much more aesthetically pleasing.

hillegom 04-03-2020 01:37 AM

IMO, if you want a sps dominant tank for ease of maintenance, I would go bare bottom or else just an inch thin bottom is much more aesthetically pleasing.

Does that mean no wrasses?

Bblinks 04-03-2020 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillegom (Post 1042038)

Does that mean no wrasses?

I have a clear glass bowl with sand for wrasses. Easy

Layottb 05-03-2020 03:25 AM

Would having a bare-bottom be advantageous, as far as water changes go? Of course, you still do water changes, but, with no substrate to bury excess food and waste, it seems like water changes would be quick and painless?

Or would having a light substrate, like Dearth, and some good bottom feeders, and cleaners be a better way to go?

Any thoughts and/or advice would be great!

Thanks all, take care, and be safe!!

K

LifeIsGreat 05-03-2020 07:32 PM

Bare bottom or shallow sand bed, either way needs vacuuming. I had bare bottom for a couple years, it was easy to maintain but detritus still piles up under the rocks, and it can get hard to get at everything once the corals grow over. I like the look of sand, but I don't want to vacuum poo, so I'm going to try a deep sand bed and see how that goes.