Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Algae Problems, Blah. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113802)

Travillion 04-30-2015 01:45 AM

Algae Problems, Blah.

Hey guys,

I know there are a ton of algae posts, but generally it is because of new tanks, high nitrates, lighting, non-regular water changes, no CUC, etc.

So here's my problem. I have a nasty case of hair algae that just won't quit, and I cannot figure out an explanation. I want to stop it, and rid my tank of it before it's too late.

My 28G tank is over a half year old now, and completed it's cycle about a month in. It's diatom stage came and went, then the algae came, and eventually started to diminish. However it never fully went away. It's main point of focus is right on my live rock, which is the very porous pukani rock. It gets right into the crevices.

My CUC consists of astrea and turbo snails, hermits and an urchin. I swear these guys never even touch the algae on my live rock. They've done a good job with keeping the glass clean, but nothing else. **My tank is bare bottom, so I did not feel the need for nassarius and other sand bed critters.**

I run an RW-8 along with the included pumps for circulation.

I have a TUNZE 9001 protein skimmer and filter foam (rinse out daily) for filtration.

Maxspect Razor 60W 16K lighting that never goes over 80%.

20% water changes weekly using my own RO/DI unit. TDS readings at 0.

Nitrates: 0

Nitrites: 0

Ammonia: 0

All I have for fish are two young clowns and a six-line wrasse, certainly not overfed.

Lots of softies and LPS that seem to be doing well, though my zoas and paly's haven't had much growth :(

I am probably forgetting to tell you guys something, so please just ask me anything specific and I will be able to answer.

Any help is strongly appreciated.

reefwars 04-30-2015 03:04 AM

Assuming since you only psted amonia , nitrites and nitrates that your using the api test kits?

Po4 reading ? (Phosphate)

Skimmin 04-30-2015 05:35 AM

I had very similar... if not the same issues you speak of when I was not watching my Kh. It was low for the first couple months of my tank and I seen the same results regarding nasty algae growth. My tank is all pukani. I have been keeping my kh elevated at around 9 to 10. In the last month or so I now have no nuisance algae and the coraline is coming in great, almost completely covering all the rock now. My tank has almost been running 6 months now. I also dose vinegar. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but I'm very happy with my tank... Right now at least lol.

gregzz4 04-30-2015 05:43 AM

New tank needs new rock ...
Biggest regret I have is starting my tank with 'fake' rock.

I tried base rock and I hated the results. I still hate it now 3 years in.
I'm considering a complete tank reset because of it.

Buy new/live rock and avoid all the base/pukani/whatever stuff they sell.

Just my opinion, and I'm sure I'll be shot down, but it's the way to go.

reefwars 04-30-2015 01:19 PM

Greggzzzzzgz is right , the only way to do it is with pure liverock anything else doesn't work , can't work and just plain isn't right......according to god lol

Aquattro 04-30-2015 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 948077)
Greggzzzzzgz is right , the only way to do it is with pure liverock anything else doesn't work , can't work and just plain isn't right......according to god lol

Agreed :)

reefwars 04-30-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 948079)
Agreed :)

Interested in a Kenya tree?

Aquattro 04-30-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 948082)
Interested in a Kenya tree?

Brown??

reefwars 04-30-2015 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 948083)
Brown??

" i " dont think its brown maybe more like a mild rusty pinkish color :)

Aquattro 04-30-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefwars (Post 948084)
" i " dont think its brown maybe more like a mild rusty pinkish color :)

I have nothing to trade. Take a couple hun cash?