Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Adding a Fuge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60866)

burrows14 02-05-2010 03:07 AM

Adding a Fuge

I am going to be replacing my sump later next week with a 3 chamber 40 gal breeder. 1st compartment is the skimmer and phosban reactor, middle one will be return pump and the 3rd will be a fuge. I plan on using it for nutrient export but also want it to sustain a pod population. Im wondering what I should be adding? I plan on a 5+ DSB(oolitic) some cheato and some LR rubble to house pods and a few nasiaris snails. What else should I add? Ive seen some people with fish and even corals in there. Any input would be great:biggrin:

Cheers
Ray

whatcaneyedo 02-05-2010 03:58 AM

If your intentions are nutrient export and an area for pods to reproduce then macro algae and rubble are all you need.

no_bs 02-05-2010 04:03 AM

You can also put some LR in there aswell, gives your pods a place to multiply. Reverse lighting schedule, will help with PH swing at night in the DT. HTH

burrows14 02-05-2010 04:03 AM

just that simple? Perfect!:mrgreen: I plan on rinsing the sand and seeding it with my DT sand but is there anything else I should be aware of before adding the new sand?

whatcaneyedo 02-05-2010 04:06 AM

Why are you adding sand?

burrows14 02-05-2010 04:28 AM

I planned on a DSB in the fuge to help nutrient export. should I scrap that idea and go BB?

cheers
Ray

whatcaneyedo 02-05-2010 04:43 AM

A DSB doesnt export anything. Growing algae and then pulling it out of the tank is exporting. Too often DSB become a generator for H2S gas that can poison your system. So unless you are certain that you are setting it up correctly I believe that a sandbed over 2" is generally not worth it.

burrows14 02-05-2010 05:04 AM

ok thanks for the heads up. ill go BB

toxic111 02-05-2010 05:36 AM

pretty much my set up.. just make sure your skimmer side is large enough for your current skimmer & any that you might want to upgrade too... I just found out the hard way tonight that mine isn't big enough for the Vertex... so its back to the coralife one until I can find something else that will fit.

burrows14 02-05-2010 05:50 AM

Ha Ha I made the skimmer side big enough for a vertex alpha 200 hahah its my dream skimmer lol You should try a bubble magus nac7. Small foot print and does a wicked job. Its rated for up to 185gal with a light bioload.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic111 (Post 489218)
pretty much my set up.. just make sure your skimmer side is large enough for your current skimmer & any that you might want to upgrade too... I just found out the hard way tonight that mine isn't big enough for the Vertex... so its back to the coralife one until I can find something else that will fit.