Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Introducing small clown into tang territory (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64683)

Fishward 05-21-2010 10:03 PM

Introducing small clown into tang territory

Hey, I am curious if I'm gonna have aproblem introducing a small clown into a tank with an established yellow tang and Pygmy angel. I have a small anemone for it tho. Will that be enough to prevent the others from picking on it too much?

George 05-22-2010 04:52 AM

What kind of clown and anemone? The clown may not host the anemone. The yellow tang and the pygmy angel will harass the clown without an anemone host.

Fishward 05-22-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George (Post 520799)
What kind of clown and anemone? The clown may not host the anemone. The yellow tang and the pygmy angel will harass the clown without an anemone host.

I have not decided on the type of clown but I have a small gbta. Any species of clown that will typically host a bubble tip?

BlueWorldAquatic 05-22-2010 02:37 PM

Most clowns will host, given time.

If they don't use the "pot" trick. Get a small clay pot from Walmart or somewhere like that, and put it in the tank. Clowns like them for some reason, slowly move it to the anemone until the anemone cover the pot opening slightly. After he rubs against the anemone he'll start to host in it.

Get a more agressive clown like a maroon, he should hold his own in the tank too.

Ken - BWA

Fishward 05-22-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic (Post 520835)
Most clowns will host, given time.

If they don't use the "pot" trick. Get a small clay pot from Walmart or somewhere like that, and put it in the tank. Clowns like them for some reason, slowly move it to the anemone until the anemone cover the pot opening slightly. After he rubs against the anemone he'll start to host in it.

Get a more agressive clown like a maroon, he should hold his own in the tank too.

Ken - BWA

I.had a maroon previously that actually was attacking the tang. I had to sell him. He was taking chunks outbof the tangs fin. I was hoping to get A more docile clown and use the nem to protect him.

BlueWorldAquatic 05-22-2010 02:49 PM

Consider a Black Ocelleris, or a True Perc. Both are not as docile as most.

Skunk clowns aren't too bad either.

Ken

Fishward 05-22-2010 02:58 PM

Thanks, I'll have a look around for those

fishoholic 05-22-2010 03:16 PM

Clownfish are different enough from tangs and angels that IME you shouldn't have any issues. How big is your tank? As long as it's a decent size I can't see it being a problem.

Edit: I saw on your link that you have a 65g, you should be fine adding a clownfish. However a 65g is a bit small for a tang, if you want to keep the tang you should upgrade your tank size to at least a 90g.

Fishward 05-22-2010 03:21 PM

It's a 65 gallon, 4 ft long.

BlueWorldAquatic 05-22-2010 03:23 PM

Laurie,

I have a Scopus Tang that likes to torment my 2 Blacky's all the time.

Ken