Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ecotech Marine MP40w ES operating noise (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79775)

stellarfly 11-04-2011 11:11 PM

Ecotech Marine MP40w ES operating noise

Hey guys,

I just love the look and simplicity and performance of the MP40's. Judging by what I have heard and seen they are awesome. But what about operating noise that the motors make when they are in operation and fully balanced and the such. Are they noisy? I have seen some videos on youtube with some people complaining that their spouses are just not happy. What are peoples thoughts on this? is that one of their drawbacks??

let me know.

fishytime 11-04-2011 11:20 PM

well.....if your used to koralias or tunzes, with the motor under water then yes.....the vortechs make noise.....but I wouldnt consider them noisy... I have three on my system, one 40, one 20 and one 10....wifey, get used to it:razz:

sphelps 11-04-2011 11:48 PM

I watched someones tank a while ago and he had 4 MP40's running, all fairly new. I have to say I found them noisy and pretty irritating because they were pulsing so it was constant winding up and down noise, would have been bearable if it was just set to constant flow but that would defeat the purpose. But it does depend on the person, when I asked the owner if he found it irritating he acted like he couldn't hear anything, but he must have been deaf IMO. I've used Tunzes mostly myself, you can barely hear them even close up with the same pulse effect.

BlueTang<3 11-05-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stellarfly (Post 647717)
Hey guys,

I just love the look and simplicity and performance of the MP40's. Judging by what I have heard and seen they are awesome. But what about operating noise that the motors make when they are in operation and fully balanced and the such. Are they noisy? I have seen some videos on youtube with some people complaining that their spouses are just not happy. What are peoples thoughts on this? is that one of their drawbacks??

let me know.

I have 6 on my tanks 4 40's 2 10's, feel free to come out or stop at a store with ur spouse and see if they can handle the noise.

reefme 11-05-2011 12:20 AM

You should change your signature to 4 mp40s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 (Post 647742)
I have 6 on my tanks 4 40's 2 10's, feel free to come out or stop at a store with ur spouse and see if they can handle the noise.

BlueTang<3 11-05-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefme (Post 647748)
You should change your signature to 4 mp40s.

:mrgreen:

stellarfly 11-05-2011 04:43 AM

Dear Blue Tang,

Do you have a store in spruce grove? Im in edmonton and I would love to come by and check out the tank.

sitandwatch 11-05-2011 04:44 AM

I have two and I find them loud, I can hear them now with the tv on

I find that when I leave for work I crank them right up and when I get home I turn them down.

I do find that they work great

Funky_Fish14 11-05-2011 06:35 AM

I have two MP10wES... My older one is loud enough that it whines when upstairs but I bumped it a little while ago and I dont think I lined it up correctly when I set it up again, because my newer one is only half as loud. I can definitely hear them in the next room though, they are on 100%... it was a bit annoying at first, but I have good ears and low 'annoying noise threshold' lol. It doesn't annoy my folks who hate annoying noises (like the smallest water drip or pump humming), though. Its not obnoxious like loud droning, but its defintely an audible 'whir' as it winds up and down.

Cheers,

Chris

reefme 11-05-2011 01:46 PM

Marine Aquaria, BigAls, & Redcoral. They have mp40s in their tanks.
I have 2 MP60 in 1 tank, and 1 mp40 in the other. If you want to see it PM me.