Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Vacuuming - Part Deux (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105780)

Aquattro 03-19-2014 01:11 PM

Vacuuming - Part Deux

Ok, so according to the highly controversial poll on vacuuming sand, we have almost 2 to 1 in favour of it.

So question - How is it done in your tank? Siphon? In tank vacuum? Spatula?

Leah 03-19-2014 01:27 PM

...I like dirty, can I play too?

Aquattro 03-19-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah (Post 887207)
...I like dirty, can I play too?

I'm not sure I can reply to that within the bounds of good taste :)

Reef Pilot 03-19-2014 01:43 PM

When I did vacuum, I just siphoned with a regular wider bottom vacuum head. But like I said in the other thread (the one that only likes opinions worth publishing:biggrin:), my goby does the job for me now.

MarkoD 03-19-2014 01:46 PM

Under gravel filter ftw!

Leah 03-19-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 887208)
I'm not sure I can reply to that within the bounds of good taste :)

No idea what you mean by this, however. I am actually doing the dirty thing right now. :wink:

Magickiwi 03-19-2014 01:55 PM

I have about a 3" DSB and would be interested in learning a method of vacuuming the sand that doesn't result in all the sand being siphoned out of the tank. I've had a couple golden head gobies that do a wonderful job of sifting the top couple centimeters of sand but one took a trip out of the tank and the other wound up as lunch for my carpet nem. Every time I stir or disturb the sandbed my phosphates go through the roof.

mike31154 03-19-2014 02:06 PM

I wonder if Mr. Dyson has something up his sleeve with the proper amount of suction for our hobby?

Reef Pilot 03-19-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magickiwi (Post 887213)
I have about a 3" DSB and would be interested in learning a method of vacuuming the sand that doesn't result in all the sand being siphoned out of the tank. I've had a couple golden head gobies that do a wonderful job of sifting the top couple centimeters of sand but one took a trip out of the tank and the other wound up as lunch for my carpet nem. Every time I stir or disturb the sandbed my phosphates go through the roof.

You have to adjust the siphon flow so the sand stays and the detritus gets removed. I used to do a about 1/2 my sand bed (only front, couldn't reach the back) with each water change. If you want to do more, you can siphon into a large cheese cloth in your sump to catch the detritus. But you will also want to dose a few capfuls of MB7 then to get rid of the cloudiness.

I did that when I was rearranging my rock work and sand. You wouldn't believe how much crap came out of that sand. Couldn't even see to the back of the tank for an hour or so afterwards. But it sure looked good after that. I also removed 1/2 the sand (to my then new downstairs tank), so just have a shallow sand bed now.

But now my goby creates his own sand storm from time to time, and the crap just flows out the overflow. Plus he creates these pretty little mounds all over the place, and likes to bury my mushroom and palys (that's good).

Reefer Rob 03-19-2014 02:31 PM

Insert syphon directly into the sand bed with a strong flow. Work until all sand is removed. Repeat as needed. Sit back and watch as the nutrient levels in your tank drop.