Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Reef Tank DIY - For Dummies (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124373)

Dash 02-09-2018 05:20 PM

I ordered some copepods from AlgaeBarn & added them to the tank, along with their “Ocean Magik” phytoplankton. Yes, magik in my tank - gotta be good! It’s the 5280 mix of tigriopus, tisbe & apocyclops. Lots of tiny things swimming in the bag, so hope they result in a booming population as I hope to buy a girlfriend for my mandarin one day.

The glass on sump has always been crawling with tiny copepods but I don’t see too many on the DT glass. I tried shaking my chaeto ball in the DT. Any other things I can try? Or assume they’re just all hiding in rocks? My mandarin has been getting thinner though - that’s why I decided to boost the population.

Frogger 02-09-2018 09:19 PM

Did you have them shipped direct or did you have them shipped to Blaine?

If you had them shipped direct how much was shipping?

I want to get some stuff from them as they have a good clean product.

Frogger 02-09-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash (Post 1024142)
I ordered some copepods from AlgaeBarn & added them to the tank, along with their “Ocean Magik” phytoplankton. Yes, magik in my tank - gotta be good!

Let us know how adding phytoplankton directly to your tank affects your phosphate levels.

They say it will use nitrates and phosphates but my concern is the phytoplankton is packaged in a high nitrate/phosphate solution.

Years ago a was growing phytoplankton but found when I added it to my tank I had uncontrolled hair algae growth afterwards. So I stopped adding it to the tank and filtered the rotifers before adding them to the tank.

Dash 02-10-2018 12:15 AM

I picked it up in Blaine. I entered a coupon code (reef2reef?) & got a little discount. Terrible communication but package was delivered smoothly & was well-insulated.

I do have a bit of concern about dosing phytoplankton. How long would it be before issues manifest? My rock is pretty clean except for one piece that was newly added. It’s showing a bit of hair algae.

Frogger 02-10-2018 02:03 AM

I would monitor any changes in phosphates.

I am currently using Reef Nutrition phytoplankton to grow copepods but not sure if I want to add it directly to my tank.

I add the copepods to help supplement my pipefishes diet.

Dash 02-10-2018 03:24 AM

Full disclosure...I haven’t tested any parameters since the transfer:redface:
Did I mention I have no instruments to test for phosphates?

Where do you buy your copepods?

Frogger 02-10-2018 05:22 AM

The only two things I regularly test for is phosphates and alkalinity.

The reason I test for phosphates is I add KNO3 to manage my phosphates and twice I have zero'd out my phosphates and fried my corals. First time really bad, second time I caught it in time.

I got my copepods from J&L (Tigerpods) and from Canada Copepods (3 different types of Copepods)

Dash 02-10-2018 05:48 AM

I wanted tisbe pods as I think they're more suitable for mandarins, and can thrive in temps of most SW tanks. Last time, I bought Todd’s Pods, from Las Vegas. I’ve checked out Canada Copepods but their shipping is pretty high. I believe you get less pods for the dollar as well. Were you happy with the product?

I accept that phosphates is likely a factor in my tank since I do not use RODI but it has not been a big issue for me. Definitely not running a ULN SPS-dominant etc etc system.

spit.fire 02-10-2018 06:56 AM

lol i recognize that tank lol, the old owner still owes me some zoas because i drilled it and built the overflow box. Looks good tho, i love the peak on the rockscape in the middle

Dash 02-10-2018 07:07 AM

Yep, still holding water:p

Thanks, it’s all held by gravity haha