Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   RO Unit Low PSI (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77444)

Maverick00 08-03-2011 02:52 AM

RO Unit Low PSI

I recently purchased the vertex puratek ro unit. Ive found out unfortunately I only have 21psi of incoming water pressure. Ive read water quality can go down and the amount of waster water can sky rocket. Until i get a booster pump will running the unit at 21psi damage or ruin any of the filters?

BlueTang<3 08-03-2011 03:52 AM

Does the vertex ro not have a booster pump?

Maverick00 08-03-2011 04:25 AM

i wish...not the model i bought anyway... I believe vertex does sell a booster pump though, there was non available at the moment (LFS).

mike31154 08-03-2011 06:14 AM

What's your water source, city or well? If city, check your plumbing for a pressure reducing valve. Should be just downstream of the main water shutoff for your house. It might be adjustable to get you a higher pressure.

Not sure about running your unit at such a low pressure. Probably no damage, but your output will be agonizingly slow and probably somewhat inefficient. 21 psi is pretty pathetic for pressure if it's from the city.

Maverick00 08-04-2011 01:33 AM

Yeah im going to have to look for that mike. Its actually in a group of newly developed townhouses running on city water. Im not sure i have access to a pressure regulator, all i could find so far was a main water shutoff in the garage, thats it.

mike31154 08-04-2011 02:53 AM

Hmm, townhouse, yeah, the PRV might be in someone elses unit depending on how the housing blocks are set up. I was in a 3 unit townhouse in Ottawa for 13 years and there was no individual metering, so the water rates were included in the strata fees. Most of the blocks had 5 units. I reckon I was subsidizing the larger families & anal car washers that were using a lot more water than I. But I digress, if you haven't identified a PRV not far downstream from the shut off valve you found, a booster pump might be your only option in the end. Unless you can get the complex manager/maintainer to crank up the pressure. There's more than likely a regulator somewhere.

Aquattro 08-04-2011 03:15 AM

21psi is ridiculous, insist that they boost it up! We have about 130psi in town (I'm at sea level), but if you're up Triangle Mountain, I would expect at least 90!!

Maverick00 08-04-2011 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 627745)
21psi is ridiculous, insist that they boost it up! We have about 130psi in town (I'm at sea level), but if you're up Triangle Mountain, I would expect at least 90!!

Yeah so ive been hearing, ARGH! I found the water meter and another shutoff just back from it. There is also a box with wires going to it from the water meter located just under the cement cover of the access hole. Im assuming its a device that gives meter information without having to open the access hole. No sign of a PRV. Maybe ill call the CRD or Contractor tomorrow and see what i can find out. Im renting the townhouse at the moment so im not sure how that comes into play either since water is included in the monthly rent.