Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Success with tap water (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129257)

Mork 12-13-2019 03:45 AM

Success with tap water

I’m just getting back into the planning stages of a new tank - and the logistics of using an RO/DI unit in my new place is rather challenging.

I’m curious about how many of you in the GVRD are using just tap water with success in your tanks. Can it be done without issues with algae? And furthermore, can it be used in an SPS dominated tank with good results?

Mitch85 12-13-2019 04:54 PM

Hey, I am not the most experienced reefer but I do run an sps dominant tank. Sps are very $$$ I would either buy rodi water from jl or find a way to make rodi work.

LifeIsGreat 12-14-2019 04:40 AM

I used tap water in the southern Saskatchewan area and got mega hair algae. Now I use a 4 stage RO filter for my drinking water and reef water. Works pretty good. I have some hair algae, but so little that I can't tell if it is from the water or from food/critter waste. I also don't run any filters other than carbon, not even a sock.

Frogger 12-14-2019 04:57 AM

You can purchase R/O water from most grocery stores, not too expensive if you have your own containers. I have been forced to do it in a pinch.

Dash 12-14-2019 06:24 AM

Hi,
I use tap water. I have a tank journal on here if you’d like to check out some photos

Mork 12-14-2019 06:39 PM

@Dash - your tank looks awesome, with some nice growth on your SPS

Have you had any algae issues with the tank? I assume you also use tap water for your top-off too?

Dash 12-14-2019 09:06 PM

I’ve never had algae issues until I started feeding more and using Reef Chili this year to get some colour into my coral. The colour definitely improved but now I have this one little clump of hair algae at the tip of my tallest rock (you can see it in the photo of my mandarin). I just need to find the time to scrape it off. Otherwise I think it’s pretty clean.
I have a ball of chaeto in my sump fuge and I think this helps. My previous 75 gal tank was sumpless & my old hang on skimmer was not great so I’d have the odd patches of cyano now and then. Nothing serious though.

Yeah, just tap water with Prime. I don’t have rodi set up.

Mork 12-14-2019 10:35 PM

I would imagine the chaeto in the sump and a good skimmer helps a lot.

Have you tested the TDS of your water supply. I’m curious what that would be in New West. I’m in the North Shore, and I believe my TDS gave me a reading of around .10ppm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash (Post 1039999)
I’ve never had algae issues until I started feeding more and using Reef Chili this year to get some colour into my coral. The colour definitely improved but now I have this one little clump of hair algae at the tip of my tallest rock (you can see it in the photo of my mandarin). I just need to find the time to scrape it off. Otherwise I think it’s pretty clean.
I have a ball of chaeto in my sump fuge and I think this helps. My previous 75 gal tank was sumpless & my old hang on skimmer was not great so I’d have the odd patches of cyano now and then. Nothing serious though.

Yeah, just tap water with Prime. I don’t have rodi set up.

Dash 12-15-2019 03:29 AM

I don’t have a meter but I remember someone else got a reading of 1-2. In all honesty, I believe any cyano/algae in my tanks have been related to flow & skimmer issues and I’ve experienced nothing more than a little patch here and there. I still need to work out my powerhead positioning but it’s tricky due to the sand & my rock placement. I believe the most important element in my tank is the live rock - which came from a very mature tank.

Mork 12-15-2019 09:10 PM

Just checked my water and got 013ppm from my meter. I’m wondering if this is too high to avoid issues with algae if you are only getting 1-2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash (Post 1040014)
I don’t have a meter but I remember someone else got a reading of 1-2. In all honesty, I believe any cyano/algae in my tanks have been related to flow & skimmer issues and I’ve experienced nothing more than a little patch here and there. I still need to work out my powerhead positioning but it’s tricky due to the sand & my rock placement. I believe the most important element in my tank is the live rock - which came from a very mature tank.

Piscez 12-16-2019 05:25 PM

I used tap water and prime for 5 years, during that time I had two crashes, minimal coral growth more losses than gains, regular cyano outbreaks etc. Changed two things only kept existing flow, cheato, filtration,skimmer etc and rock formation and decided to go back to RODI ( which I had one a former tank in a former residence) bought it on ebay for $100 5 stage, no issues since had ti for a year now and excellent coral growth. I wish I could say it was all down to the RODI but I also discovered my lighting par was in the toilet at the same time so I had to change my little two, but the combination of the two solved all my problems. I do get some algae on my glass but I put that down to light coming from my window and I tend to have my lighting bright for long sessions. IMO rodi is a no brainer, all the best tanks I've seen in the lower mainland use RODI's far outweighing those that don't. Best of luck to you

BCOrchidGuy 01-09-2020 01:36 AM

Our water in the gvrd has almost no dissolved solids, even discus breeders need to harden the water a tiny bit.

I do not believe there is any reason for rodi water. Buy an inexpensive deionizing filter to polish your water. Our water has chloramine I believe, you can remove that with prime or the DI filter.
On the bright side if you do go with rodi filters your membranes should last a very long time as there are no carbonates or bicarbonate to remove

Thanhk87 01-09-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCOrchidGuy (Post 1040393)
Our water in the gvrd has almost no dissolved solids, even discus breeders need to harden the water a tiny bit.

I do not believe there is any reason for rodi water. Buy an inexpensive deionizing filter to polish your water. Our water has chloramine I believe, you can remove that with prime or the DI filter.
On the bright side if you do go with rodi filters your membranes should last a very long time as there are no carbonates or bicarbonate to remove

I 2nd this. Never got to replace my carbon. Been over 3 years. But the filter u need to every year for me.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

BCOrchidGuy 01-09-2020 05:17 PM

Deionizing resins can be recharged at home fairly easy.
You do suffer a small loss but you can buy replacement resin to keep your media level topped up. Repla e your carbon and you'll be good to go

Dendromad 01-10-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCOrchidGuy (Post 1040393)

Chloramine is not used in treatment in metro vancouver. They use UV, Ozone and Chlorine. Aging and aerating the water will remove any chlorine

http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...s/default.aspx

Dearth 01-10-2020 10:49 PM

Due to a combination of things in my personal life I ended up using tap water for just over a year while it has not caused any harm to my corals or fish per se I have had a constant battle with Cyano I am in the process of switching back to RODI water now

Trigger Man 02-04-2020 02:57 PM

I started using tap water back in 2016, after talking to Denis at Golds who had started using tap water. He had got me into using RO water way back when I started doing salt water.
I have found that I don't have any algae issues, but then again my tank has been pretty consistent for a while (*knock on wood*). All my fish seem to be the same, and my coral looks happy and grows (other then when my French decides to take a nibble here and there).

titus 02-15-2020 04:20 AM

Hello

I'd recommend to go for a proper RO/DI. I tried tap, tap with DI, RO/DI in GVRD and can say tap with DI isn't sufficient.

Titus

hfp75 02-16-2020 03:31 PM

Im in Calgary and I have always used tap water.

hojoos 03-02-2020 06:41 AM

Hey, I am not the most experienced reefer but I do run an sps dominant tank. Sps are very $$$ I would either buy rodi water from jl or find a way to make rodi work.

hojoos 03-02-2020 08:58 PM

My accommodation is located in the Denver zip code area. My tap water is quite fine I would say. I know that a few of my neighbors have even tested it for any harmful components and additions. And everything proved to be within acceptable limits. However, I never use tap water for drinking. I have invested a good sum in a powerful filter to be on the safe side. I prefer to stay protected just in case.

scilover 06-02-2020 10:15 AM

It's fine

I read that using tap water for your tank is fine. Just remember to let it sit for several days before adding any fish as the chlorine in the tap water will kill the fish. But if you want to speed up the process, you can use some dechlorination solutions and several drops of it into the tap water will be enough to dechlorinate the water for you.

hfp75 06-02-2020 02:22 PM

I’d still say dont worry. I have used tap water from the start with no problems. I just fill my ATO reservour and dont worry. I do water changes and also dont worry. No ill impacts. Now, if your running a small system & change a large portion of water then i guess a problem is, possible.

juanlien 06-22-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mork (Post 1040025)
Just checked my water and got 013ppm from my meter. I’m wondering if this is too high to avoid issues with algae if you are only getting 1-2.

nice advicehttps://babang.xyz/assets/10/o.png

Helium 07-04-2020 05:38 AM

Success with tap water

I have been useing tap water for the past 15 years as Vancouver and surrounding areas have some of the best tap water in the world, I use to work with a bunch of marine biologist and water quality experts and this is what they always tell me.

RODI is not worth it unless the pipes in tour place are old

smokinreefer 07-04-2020 07:35 PM

I would say, RODI may not be absolutely necessary, but can be helpful to use.

Just as carbon isn't absolutely necessary, but can be helpful to use.