Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Favourite Salt? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89864)

Proteus 09-18-2012 01:37 AM

Been using salinity for a while but found it doesn't mix as clear as reefer best

Reef_Geek 09-18-2012 02:12 AM

Salinity.

I like that it takes less volume of salt to reach my target ppt in a 5 gallon bucket, good solubility, and my sps are showing noticeable growth. No experimental design deployed, just anecdotal.

Yeah, it's a bit cloudy after a w/c but clears up within an hour or so. I don't bother to pre-dissolve hours before.

I also like the buckets/lids they come in... does that count?

Reef_Geek 09-18-2012 02:22 AM

I also enjoy the enthalpy of dissolving Salinity salt... the thermodynamic energy released when the molecular bonds of the salt crystals break apart in dissolution is enough to melt thin plastic such as those of a common soda bottle. It's fun to play with, though not really practical in application...

ok, I'm really procrastinating from work... it's true.

regent2009 09-18-2012 11:18 PM

mixed : 25% each of the following-I/o, Brightwell, seachem & Royal nature. i like the Royal Nature the most .

Myka 09-19-2012 01:56 AM

I prefer H2Ocean for my reef tanks, but I prefer IO for my fish only tanks. By your post I'm assuming you are asking which is the preferred salt for reef tanks, so I voted for H2Ocean.

I like H2Ocean for reef tanks because I only have to add magnesium and potassium, plus I prefer the lower (than IO) alkalinity so I can keep the alkalinity below 8 dKH in my reefs. It also mixes up much cleaner than IO which leaves a brown residue on the sides of the mixing barrel.

I like IO for fish only tanks because of the higher alkalinity and the cost.

craigwmiller 09-19-2012 03:51 AM

Fluval is working really well for me. I have somewhat recently switched from Salt Crystals, and the corals are noticably 'happier'. Fish and inverts have not rejected it, and are faring very well also.

gregzz4 09-19-2012 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 746958)
Unless you're Greg :)

My salt rocks :lol:
I don't have to dose anything :rolleyes:

I voted IO, but don't take it too seriously as I apparently am inept with test kits :biggrin:

Aquattro 09-19-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigwmiller (Post 747559)
Fluval is working really well for me.

Wow, Hagen is selling salt now...I haven't seen it in stores. I'm sure this will need a thread all of it's own soon!

Myka 09-20-2012 01:10 AM

Top Fin is also making salt now, I noticed it in Petsmart awhile back.

Northernseacorals 09-20-2012 02:17 AM

I/O is my salt of choice; mixes clear, price is great, resaults are very similar thought the last 15 years.