Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How to kill pulsing xeina (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103566)

Nasoblond 12-29-2013 03:58 PM

How to kill pulsing xeina

So...the pulsing xeina has for some reason started to grow pretty quick on my rocks.....now its way to much and sure enough its on the lower rocks. I cant take the rock out of the tank to scrape it off as it would mean destroying my tank so that's not an option.
Any ideas out there on how to get rid of it? Thanks everyone.
Thanks
Claudio

telkwa girl 12-29-2013 04:25 PM

Have a pair of clownfish host it. That's how all my xenia died.

Slyguy00 12-29-2013 04:29 PM

Should have done some research before adding it, as its known to be a problem in reef tanks for that very reason. As far as having a clownfish host this stuff, I don't think you can just get a clown fish and say "o here ya go just host these xenia for awhile". I wouldn't rely on that method to get rid of it in your tank. Im pretty sure your only option is gonna be to peel and scrape that stuff off your rocks. And even after that, I'm sure it will just grow right back. The stuff is almost impossible to kill and spreads extremely fast. Good luck

AquaPin 12-29-2013 04:39 PM

For Aptasia I killed it with a syringe of vinegar injected into the base, I would try that.

Back in the day before knowing better I too introduced xenia to my tank and it spread rapidly. I was "lucky" to have a hammer colony fall on the xenia and it killed most if it. The last little bit I chiseled out. If you do not kill/pull right to the base it will return.

hfp75 12-29-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPin (Post 869582)
For Aptasia I killed it with a syringe of vinegar injected into the base, I would try that.

Back in the day before knowing better I too introduced xenia to my tank and it spread rapidly. I was "lucky" to have a hammer colony fall on the xenia and it killed most if it. The last little bit I chiseled out. If you do not kill/pull right to the base it will return.

I use a syringe with lemon juice... maybe if its resisting the lemon juice I'll alternate with vinegar...

canadianbudz604 12-29-2013 07:59 PM

Killing it

Fire works good

Coral Hoarder 12-29-2013 09:12 PM

Put it in my care it hates me lol

JmeJReefer 12-29-2013 09:16 PM

devil xenia

I have/had the same issue....been smothering it with aquarium epoxy, then removing it....works to some extent, just gotta be on top of water changes as the die off will harm the tank....
other than that....try Ghostbusters...r a flamethrower....lol:redface:

Slyguy00 12-29-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott tang (Post 869659)
Put it in my care it hates me lol

Hahahaha

Coral Hoarder 12-29-2013 09:19 PM

On a seryus note flip the rocks into the sand burry the coral u don't want and leave it or take a piese of fish safe plastick and cover it