Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How many people have had a tank crash (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62330)

Palmer 03-16-2010 01:34 AM

How many people have had a tank crash

Okay so I am new to saltwater and reefing but I read alot about tanks crashing. I searched and didn't see a poll on this. I am wondering if this happens to everyone at one time or another or just how many people this has happened to. Also assuming the more tanks you have (i.e. MTS) the greater likelyhood of a problem I would like to include # of total tanks at the time as part of the poll.

Lets define a crash as a loss of at least 50 % of life in the tank.

BTW- My tank is fine at the moment I am just curious!

Palmer

christyf5 03-16-2010 01:40 AM

Just one tank. In 8 years, I've had two crashes due to heat (one with chiller (blown fuse), one without), one due to cold (moving episode). Those are just the ones I remember. Frankly I'm surprised I'm still here :razz:

marie 03-16-2010 01:49 AM

I have never had what I would consider a tank crash (*knock on wood*)

Lance 03-16-2010 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marie (Post 502065)
I have never had what I would consider a tank crash (*knock on wood*)

ditto

PoonTang 03-16-2010 01:52 AM

I have had 1. Due to a blown GFI while I was away for 3 days. My god what a smell !!!

Flash 03-16-2010 01:56 AM

does a stressed out tank and losing all fish count..?! lol! not a good month!

mark 03-16-2010 02:07 AM

Once, basically lost all my SPS (here). Had been running a mixed tank, SPS/LPS/softies/zoas/shrooms and a whack of GSP leaning towards a little chemical warfare action in the water column.

kien 03-16-2010 02:40 AM

I voted for 1 tank crash but then I read your actual post and notice your note about 50% loss of life as consider a crash.. Well if thats
the case then I've definitely had more than one! :(

Most of my crashes have been due to heat (ie. Stuck heaters). I'm hoping that I have solved this by putting my heater on a controller. Controller will give it power if it decides heat is needed and it will cut power to it if no heat is required. In theory this should eliminate the stuck heater situation.

Palmer 03-16-2010 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 502089)
I voted for 1 tank crash but then I read your actual post and notice your note about 50% loss of life as consider a crash.. Well if thats
the case then I've definitely had more than one! :(

Most of my crashes have been due to heat (ie. Stuck heaters). I'm hoping that I have solved this by putting my heater on a controller. Controller will give it power if it decides heat is needed and it will cut power to it if no heat is required. In theory this should eliminate the stuck heater situation.

Wow I have never heard f this as being a common occurance. Well perhaps the controller has just went up a notch on my wish list.

mark 03-16-2010 04:14 AM

had a heater go over temp too but caught it before any damage done so now also use a controller. If you don't want to go all out check out a Ranco thermostat