Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Do you have a Mandarin? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82144)

paddyob 01-17-2012 01:10 PM

Do you have a Mandarin?

Wondering...

Do you have a Madarin Dragonette? How long, and what tank size? Eating pellet/frozen foods?

Please make select all choices that apply.

Thanks!

I have a Green Mandarin in a 20 G with fuge. Eating pods for sure, possibly NLS pellets as well.

Considering adding a Spotted to my 70G.

Forgot to ask.... how long have you had them in your current tank?

reefwars 01-17-2012 01:30 PM

i have a blue and red dragonette, in a 90g with a 40g fuge loaded with 50lbs of liverock, cheato,caupelara,halimeda and dsb.

my mandarin doesnt eat prepared foods no interest whatsoever.

his competition for food is a six line wrasse.

together they dont even put a tiny dent into my pod pop, in the morning just as i flick the lights on i can scrape a row of pods off my glass with my mag float.in my fuge life has taken over and its completely full.

i added the mandarin because my sixline is gonna burst hes so fat and i want my pod pop brought down.my mandarin is also very very fat right now.

i dont see them keeping up with the growth its just to much for them my fuge is a large breeding ground which is doing amazingly well.

thinking about adding a second mandarin in the future.

MarkoD 01-17-2012 02:46 PM

Just bought a pair of mandarins.

180 gallon tank. 40 gallon sump and 30 gallon fuge.

Eating pods for sure

gregzz4 01-17-2012 03:10 PM

Poll results are looking pretty even so far

Lampshade 01-17-2012 03:27 PM

I have a 150 gallon, with a refugium. I'm pretty sure my mandrin eats pods only, never seen him eat prepared foods. He's nice and chubby, very happy camper in my tank.

Skimmerking 01-17-2012 03:33 PM

I have a mated pair and love them

doch 01-17-2012 03:42 PM

I have a pair in my 160 display with 90 gallons of sump/frag tank/water change tank water. My pods breed mostly in my frag/water change tanks and there are lots all over... when I saw them is when I decided to get one.... he was doing great, so I got a female that I was told is eating frozen foods. She was pretty skinny when I got her home... I've yet to have noticed her eating frozen or pellet, but she is getting plumper by the day. Same for the male... I think he only eats pods, but he's nice and plump and happy. I also have a Melanarus Wrasse... and a mystery, mckoskers and solarensis... not sure if the last 3 are pod eaters or not.

paddyob 01-17-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doch (Post 672225)
I have a pair in my 160 display with 90 gallons of sump/frag tank/water change tank water. My pods breed mostly in my frag/water change tanks and there are lots all over... when I saw them is when I decided to get one.... he was doing great, so I got a female that I was told is eating frozen foods. She was pretty skinny when I got her home... I've yet to have noticed her eating frozen or pellet, but she is getting plumper by the day. Same for the male... I think he only eats pods, but he's nice and plump and happy. I also have a Melanarus Wrasse... and a mystery, mckoskers and solarensis... not sure if the last 3 are pod eaters or not.

Survival of the fittest. Pods are low on the food chain. I bet most fish would eat them when found.

RSM 01-17-2012 04:50 PM

I have a breeding pair for over 2 years. They eat live pods and frozen brine/mysid/plankton. They live in a 210 gallon reef. Almost every night they spiral up to the top of the tank spinning real close together releasing sperm/eggs its pretty cool!

paddyob 01-17-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSM (Post 672256)
I have a breeding pair for over 2 years. They eat live pods and frozen brine/mysid/plankton. They live in a 210 gallon reef. Almost every night they spiral up to the top of the tank spinning real close together releasing sperm/eggs its pretty cool!

Thats great! I hope to someday set up a breeding tank for a pair.

I wanted to earlier this year... but time does not allow me to. I also don't have time to set up a third tank for the fry.

Any videos of the dancing duo?