Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   LF: Mandarin dragonet that eats frozen shrimps YVR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130444)

LFT 07-16-2020 05:49 PM

LF: Mandarin dragonet that eats frozen shrimps YVR

As title:

I am looking for a green or red mandarin dragonet that eats frozen shrimps and pallets in lower mainland.

Thanks and please send message.

Chuckvandam 07-16-2020 07:24 PM

Unfortunately Ur searching for a unicorn..aside from the captive bred ones (very hard to find/expensive/come very small) most people that claim theirs eat pellet, the mandrin is eating the pods off the food...my opinion dont buy a mandrin if u dont have a big enough system, with a good source of pods....far to many people kill these beauties because it

oyf709 07-16-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckvandam (Post 1044457)
Unfortunately Ur searching for a unicorn..aside from the captive bred ones (very hard to find/expensive/come very small) most people that claim theirs eat pellet, the mandrin is eating the pods off the food...my opinion dont buy a mandrin if u dont have a big enough system, with a good source of pods....far to many people kill these beauties because it

I agree with this one.
If you really love Mandarin like me, you will most likely prepare to commit to it like commit to having a child lol.

I seeded my tank 3 months before i got the mandarin. After I got them, I still check on my pod level and the moment I couldn't see any obvious pod population on my glass (chances they are still there just lower population), I will buy and reseed them.

I had the experience having them start to go after some frozen food after a while, but it is always a hit and miss

kyl 07-16-2020 09:26 PM

Even those that "eat frozen" require a tank well seeded with pods. This is a fish that must constantly eat all day, and unless you're feeding frozen, all day, it will require other readily available foods.

Chuckvandam 07-17-2020 05:03 AM

Easily one of the most beautiful/cryptic fish out there, and very rewarding when kept in ideal conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xerxes300 07-17-2020 08:08 AM

create a “feeding house”

i used a glass globe they sell for “air plants”, and daily pipetted into it: frozen mysis, mysid, green brine shrimp and blood worms. my 2 mandarins learned this to be the “feeding house”. also my sea horses fed in this protected feeding enclosure very successfully.

xerxes300 07-18-2020 06:03 AM

“Feeding House”

see attached image

LFT 07-27-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xerxes300 (Post 1044465)
i used a glass globe they sell for “air plants”, and daily pipetted into it: frozen mysis, mysid, green brine shrimp and blood worms. my 2 mandarins learned this to be the “feeding house”. also my sea horses fed in this protected feeding enclosure very successfully.

Thanks for your tips. My new dragnnet eats frozen shrimps now.