Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   anyone doesn't do regular water changes? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86913)

mat20040 06-03-2012 09:20 PM

anyone doesn't do regular water changes?

Hi
My tank parameters are stable, I have not done any water changes for the past two months. I do have some softies, lpl, sps. I do add mg, ca and buffer. any thing else i should be adding
( trace elements)?

Thanks for the help

Cal_stir 06-03-2012 09:26 PM

One of the main reasons for WC is to replenish trace elements

daniella3d 06-03-2012 10:54 PM

I do them once a month. I dose for alkalinity and calcium but when I do my water change I usualy have to cut down the dosing for a few days.

20% once a month work well for me. I can see when the corals need a water change because the vigor is a bit off. If you see no ill effect then you probably don't need to do a water change that often. It all depends on your own aquarium need and chymistry.

Megalodon 06-03-2012 11:59 PM

Some people don't do regular water changes and have beautiful tanks. I don't know how they get away with it.

Jakegr 06-04-2012 12:22 AM

I think soft coral dominated tanks can get away with infrequent water changes without many problems.

Although I have seen great SPS tanks that do not get water changes, so who knows what is going on. Most of the really nice SPS tanks, however (in my opinion), get frequent water changes (at least once per month).

mat20040 06-04-2012 03:34 AM

water change

anyone uses trace element replacement ?
if so what and how much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakegr (Post 721653)
I think soft coral dominated tanks can get away with infrequent water changes without many problems.

Although I have seen great SPS tanks that do not get water changes, so who knows what is going on. Most of the really nice SPS tanks, however (in my opinion), get frequent water changes (at least once per month).

Megalodon 06-04-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mat20040 (Post 721678)
anyone uses trace element replacement ?
if so what and how much?

It's said that you shouldn't dose anything you can't test for and that water changes are the best method for replenishing trace elements, so I don't think very many people do it.

04V10 06-04-2012 12:48 PM

I do changes once a week. However, I don't have much of a bioload and I have been doing some trending for elements to see how the water reacts over the week. I'm thinking I'm going to push it to 1 1/2 weeks per water change and see what happens. Maybe push it to 2 weeks. Though I do have a clam and 2 SPS in my tank. I'll keep ya posted when I push it further.

FishyFishy! 06-04-2012 01:42 PM

I do mine once per month. I dose Calcium, Magnesium, and alk

Seriak 06-04-2012 01:56 PM

I have done 20% weekly water changes since startup. Thinking of moving to 2 weeks, but we will see. I only dose alk right now. Ph and alk are low, but everything else is good. I don't add trace elements as I do the water changes so often. I don't like the idea of constantly adding stuff to my tank with no take away.