Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bubble tips going crazy (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130167)

sully08 05-27-2020 07:30 PM

Bubble tips going crazy

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me why bubble tips split so much? I bought a leather coral from a fellow reefer which had a small bubble tip on it, it hasn’t stopped splitting. Two pics, any suggestions?

smokinreefer 05-27-2020 10:35 PM

Whoa.
Whats the timeframe between pics?

They will often split from environmental changes, water chemistry swings ie changing tanks.

I also believe from seeing peoples tanks that there are "colonial" strains of BTAs that seem to split quicker and stay smaller. Thus forming colonies.

Dash 05-27-2020 11:28 PM

I think it’s just the type of nem. The bta I previously had in my tank split a LOT, at one point I lost count after 30. They stayed small (3-4”), and luckily all stayed on one rock so with their nice colouring actually looked pretty nice. I believe they are called “Acid Rain” - pink/red with a green base and splashes of white speckles. However, my clowns didn’t like them and the constant splitting got out of hand so I finally took them out. Now I have rainbow bta’s - much better behaved (and hosting my clowns)

sully08 05-27-2020 11:58 PM

It took about a year and a half to go from one to about 30....they are starting to show up on other parts of the tank now. If I don’t like where they are I blast them with a power head and they move. I just don’t want them to take over the whole tank.... my clown wants nothing to do with them.

smokinreefer 05-28-2020 01:55 AM

You'll need to isolate them to a single rock structure.
And if you get any floaters, remove the odd one that tries to migrate.

bauder1986 05-28-2020 08:30 AM

BTA will split on its own due to either stress or if it's happy. If it's happy then it'll split faster. Congrats. You made an anemone happy as can be.

Find a Facebook reef group in your area and sell off the split heads. Make sure you post it in the discussion threads of the group so you don't get flagged.

sully08 05-28-2020 04:02 PM

Any suggestions on the safest way to remove them with out damaging their foot?
I used heavy flow to get them to move before, set up a power head At night and by morning they are gone, need to find away to safely detach them from the rock.

bauder1986 05-28-2020 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully08 (Post 1043395)
Any suggestions on the safest way to remove them with out damaging their foot?
I used heavy flow to get them to move before, set up a power head At night and by morning they are gone, need to find away to safely detach them from the rock.

Basically a powerheads at its foot. But I would try to add a net or a container with enough small hole drilled in it just down stream from the powerhead to catch the Nem.

I did hear about a trick using ice cubes of ro water on the foot to get them to detach quickly.

KYZEK 05-29-2020 12:03 AM

They Said when they do that. Pretty much Stress out.