Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Appealing to Your Generosity !! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32784)

Der_Iron_Chef 05-11-2007 06:18 PM

Appealing to Your Generosity !!

Hey everyone. For those who don't know, I work in a group home setting with youth, ages 13-17. The youth who live in the program all have PChIP status (Protection of Youth Involved in Prostitution). Some of them have expressed interest in setting up and maintaining a saltwater aquarium, but the social services sector isn't actually going to pony up any extra funds for this to happen! As these kids work past their issues on a day-to-day basis, I think it would be excellent to give them something to do. And I think we can all agree to the therapeutic benefits of an aquarium :smile:

SO. My question is....does anyone out there have an old, leftover skimmer or lights or tank or live rock or algae magnets or anything that they'd be willing to donate? I'm not in the business of asking for free stuff (well, not often :wink:), but this isn't for me.

Let me know. If not, no quibble. I'll just have to get creative in other ways!

seashells 05-11-2007 11:19 PM

Wish you were closer...I'm sure we all have extra stuff.

Quagmire 05-12-2007 12:26 AM

How fancy do you want to go? And how big? I have a single Beckett skimmer I bought from OA.I believe it was one of their skimmers for the tanks in the store.I think its good for about 200g,but not sure.I don't have a pump to run it,but some thing like a Mak4 would work well.I never used this one myself,so its been sitting around for about 3 or 4 years waiting for a good cause to be donated to.Maybe big for your needs,but its all yours if you want. It has a rectangle base measuring 12"x 7" and a 6" diameter reaction chamber with a 5" diameter neck and is 26" tall.So you would need an area 12x7x26 to set it up.

Pescador 05-12-2007 01:03 AM

I've got a 48" Red Sea Phazer IV power compact hood that could use a good home. It takes 4 x 55w straight pin bulbs. The plastic bulb clips are broken but zip ties work fine. I might have some old bulbs and the legs for it packed away in the garage as well. There is a Hagen master test kit too if it's not to old (the one in the blue plastic case).

Der_Iron_Chef 05-12-2007 01:12 AM

Wow guys! I'm pleased!! I'm not exactly sure how fancy I want to go....probably just a simple set-up for now (though I'm going to try to incorporate a sump if possible). I might even try to make my own rocks using directions from one of the DIY threads on RC. Might even attempt to construct my own stand/canopy, which is well beyond my realm of experience....hehe. We shall see!

I'll PM all of you who've made offers and arrange to get this stuff. Thanks so much!!!

~DREW

SeaHorse_Fanatic 05-12-2007 01:47 AM

Unfortunately, wrong province. If you post updates of what you have collected, maybe some of us can help gather the rest.

Anthony

Glennrf38 05-12-2007 02:14 AM

I've done a bunch of concrete rocks and they turned out great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef (Post 251449)
Wow guys! I'm pleased!! I'm not exactly sure how fancy I want to go....probably just a simple set-up for now (though I'm going to try to incorporate a sump if possible). I might even try to make my own rocks using directions from one of the DIY threads on RC. Might even attempt to construct my own stand/canopy, which is well beyond my realm of experience....hehe. We shall see!

I'll PM all of you who've made offers and arrange to get this stuff. Thanks so much!!!

~DREW

justinl 05-12-2007 02:44 AM

drew, i wish i was closer so i could donate something "concrete", but since im not, here's a recipe for aragocrete! this is basically concrete base rock, but a recipe that was made up by GARF... id trust it. Seems easy and i think ill try it one day. maybe a project to do with the kidies? could be messy though.

http://www.garf.org/MPegs/AragocreteArch.html

Zylumn 05-12-2007 05:25 AM

I have a 30 gal tall I'll donate with a top also a 20 gal for a sump. that is if you want to go that small, heater, prizm pro p skimmer more if I can dig it up. I will also help build a stand.
Kevin

Chaloupa 05-12-2007 06:54 AM

Yes, too bad it is the wrong province as I would be more than happy to donate frags down the road of easy to keep corals....what a fantastic idea! I think it will help the kids to have something that they have to work at to make succeed and flourish!