Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Maybe quitting Zeovit (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43589)

Der_Iron_Chef 07-23-2008 06:18 AM

Maybe quitting Zeovit

Zeovit has been disappointing to me thus far. I get THE worst film algae on the glass and for the first time in my tank history, I'm constantly battling hair algae and cyano in certain areas of my tank, and bubble algae/valonia continues to grow. This AFTER starting Zeo.

It requires a fair amount of diligence, I've found, and I'm growing weary of the effort that returns no positive results.

I've been researching other carbon-based nutrient-low systems and am intrigued by this. I understand the risks, but it looks much less involved, yet effective.

What do you all think?

Brent F 07-23-2008 06:26 AM

I quit using it about 6 weeks ago and my algae problems cleared up. I was finding it way too complex

Der_Iron_Chef 07-23-2008 06:34 AM

Interesting. So frustrating :bad-word:

Skimmerking 07-23-2008 06:55 AM

hey Drew i find that all the reading that i have been doing about ZEO is crazy alot of stuff to do for the pleasure of sitting there and watching it grow.. It's just alot of money to perfect you hobby.. may be im crazy or not dont get me wrong all all zeo users are getting the gains that they should. the start up is crazy unless you can DIY with some of the stuff.lke the reactor, all the supplements that you have to buy. but then you look at some people that say that their algae problem clears up, so does it work or does it not......

i have crabs 07-23-2008 01:05 PM

i would try the polyplabs reef-resh system before dosing sugar or vodka in a tank i cared about.

BMW Rider 07-23-2008 02:41 PM

I used the Polyplabs for about 18 months and quit it for the same reasons. It worked at first then the tank became a film algae cesspool. Its much better now without.

littlesilvermax 07-23-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW Rider (Post 335960)
I used the Polyplabs for about 18 months and quit it for the same reasons. It worked at first then the tank became a film algae cesspool. Its much better now without.

ditto, almost the exact same experience.

Tank got worse when I quit it, but after a few months is better.

Der_Iron_Chef 07-23-2008 05:59 PM

Very interesting indeed. Well, I'm going to do it. I'm tired of putting in all this effort for a tank that looks like a petri dish.

I've taken before pics and will hopefully track any progress (hopefully progress).

Oceanic 07-23-2008 07:28 PM

It is very easy with Zeo to over dose any of the basic four suppliments, the algae could be the result of the start2, zeofood7, or AAHC. Everyones tank is differant and you can't just go by what the label on the bottle says for dosing instructions. You may also have a latent PO4 build up in the tank sand, rock etc, that is being pulled out by the zeo system. Sometimes results take some time to be achieved, however, given some time and tweaking of the suppliments the tank will become nutrient poor using the zeovit method.

I found I was getting some hair algae until I started cycling th zeo reactor 3 hours on 3 hours off. Give it some time and tweek your dosing amounts and it will get better.

:biggrin:

Der_Iron_Chef 07-23-2008 07:34 PM

That's the thing, I'm dosing VERY low amounts, well below the recommended amounts. And I've always cycled my reactor on/off in 3 hour intervals!