Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Prazipro reef safe? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50181)

my2rotties 03-04-2009 04:32 PM

Prazipro reef safe?

Does any one have any info on the medication? Any deaths of corals and inverts? Any one have any experience with it and treating a display tank for flukes?

Thanks in advance.

Leah 03-04-2009 04:38 PM

Do you think you have flukes?

my2rotties 03-04-2009 04:47 PM

From research due to my angel deaths I am thinking it might be the cause of death. I have the fish in the freezer and will thaw them out and dip them in freshwater there is a thread on reefcentral about this very thing...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1260067

If indeed this is my issue I need to do something NOW!!! I have one queen angel and cannot catch him to treat him or any of my other fish for that matter. I need to be proactive to ensure I do not have a big disaster on my hands...

I just don't need another disaster from trying to fix one as well. I will get through this but I am feeling a little panicked at the moment.

Should I thaw the dead fish prior to dipping or do I dip them in freshwater to thaw them.

christyf5 03-04-2009 04:51 PM

Um, why are you dipping dead fish?

my2rotties 03-04-2009 04:57 PM

To see if flukes fall off of them like they talked about on reefcentral

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 395498)
Um, why are you dipping dead fish?

Mrfish55 03-04-2009 04:58 PM

If I'm not mistaken the key ingredient in Prazi-pro is Praziquantel which is also an ingredient in the heartworm medication used to treat corals for red bugs, I am unsure of the other ingredients in prazi-pro (you would have to research that) but it should be safe to use, remove any decorative shrimps and crabs as it will kill those as well (and your pod population) Don't forget to remove any carbon and shut off air supply to skimmer, leave everything else running as normal so you can make sure everything gets medicated. Good luck.

christyf5 03-04-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2rotties (Post 395500)
To see if flukes fall off of them like they talked about on reefcentral

likely the flukes are already gone. they're pretty delicate and I would imagine freezing and thawing might be a bit rough on them. I guess its worth a try though.

Delphinus 03-04-2009 05:11 PM

Be wary of overreacting. I'm very sorry about the angels but treating a main tank is a recipe for disaster. I don't mean to sound cruel here, but listen to yourself: is a medication intended to kill off flukes reef-safe? By very definition, it is not. The whole idea of a medication is you're trying to poison your tank to the point that the "baddies" drop off while hopefully leaving enough "goodies" leftover to repopulate.

My suggestion is that if you do not 100% unequivocally know for certain that you have flukes in your system, that you do not nuke your tank with any medication.

On the flip side, if you have enough evidence to suggest that other fish may be affected, the wiser course of action is still to catch those fish and treat them separately in a hospital tank. Running your main display fallow of hosts will go far further than any medication.

Be very careful about overreactions in this hobby, it's very easy to overcompensate or overcorrect and then you're facing a worse situation and one of your own making. Please be careful.

my2rotties 03-04-2009 05:14 PM

It is indeed flukes... I added water to the Ziplock bags and see thousands of them floating in the water around the fish.

From the big thread I posted a link to, the Prazipro appears to be reef safe. Still doing research on it now. I hope I can find the meds today and I have to figure out what to do with everything now.

Taking a nice hike to avoid a panic attack and will be calling all the LFS while I'm doing that. At least I have answers now since nothing else made sense. Reefcentral people say it is a mystery killer and the thread I posted a link to has been more then helpful

I want to thank all the members of canreef for bringing up the flukes to help me pinpoint something. I owe you guys and thanks again...

my2rotties 03-04-2009 05:17 PM

I won't be doing anything until I do my homework for awhile. I have been trying to catch my Queen angel since he is showing signs of sickness. Not having very much luck with that at this point...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 395511)
Be wary of overreacting. I'm very sorry about the angels but treating a main tank is a recipe for disaster. I don't mean to sound cruel here, but listen to yourself: is a medication intended to kill off flukes reef-safe? By very definition, it is not. The whole idea of a medication is you're trying to poison your tank to the point that the "baddies" drop off while hopefully leaving enough "goodies" leftover to repopulate.

My suggestion is that if you do not 100% unequivocally know for certain that you have flukes in your system, that you do not nuke your tank with any medication.

On the flip side, if you have enough evidence to suggest that other fish may be affected, the wiser course of action is still to catch those fish and treat them separately in a hospital tank. Running your main display fallow of hosts will go far further than any medication.

Be very careful about overreactions in this hobby, it's very easy to overcompensate or overcorrect and then you're facing a worse situation and one of your own making. Please be careful.