Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Saltwater Tank and Septic System (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114705)

Steve... 06-21-2015 04:40 AM

Saltwater Tank and Septic System

Does anyone have any experience with having a saltwater tank together wish a septic system? Im just curious if the water changes from the tank will have any negative impact on the septic tank because there are bacteria in the septic tank.

spit.fire 06-21-2015 04:51 AM

bacteria doesnt matter, the salt eats the concrete tho

Steve... 06-21-2015 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spit.fire (Post 955192)
bacteria doesnt matter, the salt eats the concrete tho

Humm, thats not good. So are you saying I can have a salt water tank if Im on a septic system? Know of any alternative solutions?

spit.fire 06-21-2015 04:57 AM

find a spot in the yard to dump it out?

Steve... 06-21-2015 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spit.fire (Post 955194)
find a spot in the yard to dump it out?

Ya Im guessing that could be the only option

Myka 06-21-2015 05:31 AM

How big is your aquarium? I don't know much about septic systems, but I think you would need a fair amount of salt in the system before it would affect the concrete. Does your system get pumped out or does it go into a septic field? Is it a plastic septic tank or concrete? I would probably talk to a septic guru.

The bacteria definitely doesn't matter - bacteria adapt easily from salt to fresh to salt.

spit.fire 06-21-2015 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 955198)
How big is your aquarium? I don't know much about septic systems, but I think you would need a fair amount of salt in the system before it would affect the concrete.

this too

The Codfather 06-21-2015 12:55 PM

Steve,
the problem that you might encounter if that you have a lot of bacteria in the septic system. when you flush a large volume of water, be it fresh or salty, it could potentially affect the amount of bacteria in the system. We recommend that even regeneration from water softeners be discharged elsewhere and not through the septic system. Now if there is a small amount, in other words a small tank, with small wc's it may be fine, but i do not know the size of your septic system nor the size of your tank.

Skimmin 06-21-2015 04:17 PM

Codfather is right. I've seen it first hand ruin a septic field.

Steve... 06-21-2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 955198)
How big is your aquarium? I don't know much about septic systems, but I think you would need a fair amount of salt in the system before it would affect the concrete. Does your system get pumped out or does it go into a septic field? Is it a plastic septic tank or concrete? I would probably talk to a septic guru.

The bacteria definitely doesn't matter - bacteria adapt easily from salt to fresh to salt.

The tank will be 12' long x 3 ' deep and 28" tall plus sump. Im guessing the total water volume would come in close to a 1000 gals. So the wc will be prob 100 to 200 gals monthly. Im not sure what kind of tank it is yet as its a new build.