Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Stale water (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68888)

BlueTang<3 10-14-2010 11:21 PM

Stale water

Well i have about 45 gallons of premixed saltwater sitting in my tub for about a week and the powerhead crapped out on it so sat stagnant. I turned the recirculation pump on and the water smells funny for a few seconds the smell has now cleared should i use it or throw it out.

reefwars 10-14-2010 11:30 PM

Have wondered the same thing once, maybe you could dilute it with a fresh batch ?? I'm gonna follow along and see what others come up with:)

Ps. Thus weekend for the unicorn tang???

Myka 10-15-2010 12:52 AM

Should be fine, I've used water like that numerous times. As long as you reheat it, and mix it up real well (to infuse with oxygen once more) in the process it should be fine.

BlueTang<3 10-15-2010 01:08 AM

Its always got heat i got a 3000 gph pump mixing the crap out of it ill leave it fun for a few days and add new fresh water as well.

randy123 10-15-2010 05:07 AM

All I do for mixing salt water is stir it up in a big garbage can with a canoe paddle...I find that it must be warm when mixed (otherwise salt doesnt dissolve as good)...after that I don't use a heater or powerheads. One good stir with the paddle and in it goes...no problems... yet:shocked:

Keri 10-15-2010 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy123 (Post 556430)
All I do for mixing salt water is stir it up in a big garbage can with a canoe paddle...I find that it must be warm when mixed (otherwise salt doesnt dissolve as good)...after that I don't use a heater or powerheads. One good stir with the paddle and in it goes...no problems... yet:shocked:

NOT good advice :)

I have "re-aeriated" water that has sat for a week with no issues, but I let it circulate another 24 hours or so

reefwars 10-15-2010 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy123 (Post 556430)

Very not good advice.... You'll run into problems soon enough salt needs to dissolve completely or it can harm fish pretty bad after all it's what they breathe, I mix my batch of change water a week in advance and it stays moving and at tank temp for that whole time. I also dose any calcium that needs to be dosed then too.

randy123 10-15-2010 06:00 AM

Oh, I should clarify...it is mixed 24 hours in advance...and house temp and tank temp are so close to the same that and temperature change in the tank is negligable...

randy123 10-15-2010 06:00 AM

Oh and by the way...you havn'e seen salt dissolve until youve mixed it with a canoe paddle...dead serious.

lastlight 10-15-2010 07:18 AM

If you stir it and then just let it sit that seems risky to me but picturing you stirring a barrel of saltwater with an oar made me laugh!