Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   effective way to kill aiptasia (now with moar lasers!) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80901)

Beverly 12-10-2011 01:57 AM

I don't think it matters what you inject them with - kalk, vinegar, liquid calcium, strontium - anything that's toxic to them when injected but reef-friendly should do the trick. I inject them when they're small and make sure I inject all the way in. It might take two or three injections to kill them dead so they detach and can be removed from the tank. Powerheads off, of course.

Reef Pilot 12-10-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker (Post 659214)
I have a file fish that doesn't eat them, I have peppermint shrimp that don't eat them.

My tank was totally infested with hundreds of aiptasia,... everywhere.... I got a Copperband, but he wouldn't touch them. Then I got a couple Pearlscales, and after a few weeks, they started to pick at them.

Three months later, you couldn't find any aiptasia in my tank. And what's great also, the Pearlscales taught the Copperband to eat them, too, and he started hunting them as well, and helped clean them out of the deeper holes with his longer beak.

Lance 12-10-2011 02:16 AM

I'm convinced you'll never really get rid of them until you get yourself an Aiptasia-eating critter. I've been fighting them in my 90g since day 1; I swear I've used every method there is, (kalk paste, Joe's Juice, Aiptasia-X, boiling water, lemon juice, sodium hydroxide, epoxy, and the zapper). I can keep the population down but if I don't keep at them constantly they just come back with a vengeance.
I have a CBB in the 225g who has a taste for them and haven't had a problem since I got him. I move smaller rock infested with the little bastards from the 90 to the big tank and within days he has eaten them all............. I love that little yellow guy!

daniella3d 12-10-2011 02:23 AM

How long do you have the copperband? Usually what we hear is that they eat all the aiptasias and then die. I am wondering if it is not toxic for them and slowly kill them?

Mine does not touch any aiptasia and I have him for a year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 659241)
I have a CBB in the 225g who has a taste for them and haven't had a problem since I got him. I move smaller rock infested with the little bastards from the 90 to the big tank and within days he has eaten them all............. I love that little yellow guy!

Lance 12-10-2011 02:31 AM

I got it from a fellow reefer in May 2009. How long she had it for I don't know. It eats all fresh or frozen meaty foods but will not touch flakes or pellets.

The Grizz 12-10-2011 02:35 AM

I bought a CBB from a fellow reefer and damn it's got an apatite for apitasia & those little white feather dusters ( had thousands ) I have a zapper for my FOWLR & office tank, tried the kalk paste & apitasia X as well but nothing is as good as Buckbeek( my CBB ).

lastlight 12-10-2011 02:59 AM

Sorry to have mislead you guys. Seems I have to wait 48 hrs to make a call. Half of the buggers survived the crazy glue @#$%!

Parker 12-10-2011 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Grizz (Post 659252)
I bought a CBB from a fellow reefer and damn it's got an apatite for apitasia & those little white feather dusters ( had thousands ) I have a zapper for my FOWLR & office tank, tried the kalk paste & apitasia X as well but nothing is as good as Buckbeek( my CBB ).

I've been patiently waiting to find a CBB that's eating in stores, I haven't had any luck so far.

The Grizz 12-10-2011 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker (Post 659264)
I've been patiently waiting to find a CBB that's eating in stores, I haven't had any luck so far.

I tried one from LFS, it was eating just fine for them but then to move it to my bag arse tank full of crazy arse tangs it just would not eat. The one I have now will even eat a pellet if it is the small ones, it swims around the tank with it half way in its mouth sucking like a jaw breaker.

Delphinus 12-10-2011 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 659241)
I'm convinced you'll never really get rid of them until you get yourself an Aiptasia-eating critter.

I agree. Actually this is even more true than you might think; even with an aiptaisa eating critter they are never really eradicated; they are just constantly eaten so you don't see them. Seen it twice now where removal of the aiptasia-eater just saw the aiptasia bounce back within a few weeks (even if nothing was added).

If injection is the method of choice, feed them first with some mysis. They engorge themselves and then it's harder to retreat into the ittybitty holes (they still will but at least it slows them down some).