Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   kien's 150g Room Divider Mixed Reef & Stuff (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54164)

kien 03-29-2016 05:03 AM

My red goniopora, which was a really deep red completely lost ALL of its colour when the temperature in the tank crashed last December. This thing was ghost white and I was sure it was toast. It also retracted ALL of its feeding arms/mouths and kinda looked like a favia/brain coral. Fortunately, this thing is NUKE PROOF. Slowly but surely, it started to get its colour back and slowly started to extend its arms/mouths. I got pink, then darker pink, then orangy-red-pink. It's still not quite the deep red that it once was but it's getting there.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6pa8fyd7.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...pshumfwgmg.jpg

A different blue-purple goni.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...psl7eo30dw.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...psayo5qkce.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...psjjumr5uk.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...pszgwrbczm.jpg

kien 03-29-2016 05:05 AM

Current FTS' (with a background taped to the opposite side to block the ambient light coming through the other side).

The South Face

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...psgjri8sgc.jpg

The North Face

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...psoc55ariy.jpg

coolhandgoose 03-29-2016 05:48 AM

Wow that's gorgeous.

SeaHorse_Fanatic 03-29-2016 06:49 AM

OMG, OMG, OMG!!!

Craigdillman 03-29-2016 07:29 AM

B E A UTIFUL,... As always inspiration as what we can all do with our tanks

On that note need to buy another goniporia now that my p04 and parameters are solid now ...

soapy 03-29-2016 03:59 PM

Everything looking great again Kien, nice work!

Delphinus 03-29-2016 04:22 PM

Is that a blue-polyped pink stylo I see in there?

Pretty colours, everything looks so nice..

Bblinks 03-29-2016 04:37 PM

Very nice Kien! Tank has always been really clean looking, well done!

Parker 03-29-2016 06:07 PM

Tanks like this give me the itch for a running tank again. I know it would never be that nice though.

duncangweller 03-29-2016 06:43 PM

Looks very nice.

kien 03-29-2016 07:11 PM

Thanks everyone ! It's hard to believe that this tank is in its 7th year. Time flies when you're having fun. It's still "fun," right guys ? :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 987233)
Is that a blue-polyped pink stylo I see in there?

Pretty colours, everything looks so nice..

Yes, Tony. I think I gave you a frag once. Need another frag?

Delphinus 03-29-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Yes, Tony. I think I gave you a frag once. Need another frag?
You probably did, I've started to forget all the sorts of things I lost last year :( (familiar theme of a controller failure... sigh). Anyhow if you ever do make another piece, yes please!!!

kien 03-29-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 987251)
You probably did, I've started to forget all the sorts of things I lost last year :( (familiar theme of a controller failure... sigh). Anyhow if you ever do make another piece, yes please!!!

Oh I can make a frag anytime! We can just schedule something :-) I can also frag a bunch of other stuff that I really should prune..

* Red monti cap (*yawn*)
* Green birdsnest (*yawn*)
* Pink birdsnest
* multi-colour birdsnest
* Green confusa
* neon red/orange monti
* Forrest fire monti (that lost its green last December but is slowly coming back)
* Red/Orange/pink Montipora cebuensis (Bloody Mary Monti ?)

soapy 03-29-2016 08:34 PM

You guys are making me nervous now that I have installed a controller…

My tank has been up for 7 years also. I still have some of the original corals I started out with, including a bit of pulsing xenia which has somehow survived a lot of changes including bio-pellets.

kien 03-29-2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapy (Post 987257)
You guys are making me nervous now that I have installed a controller…

My tank has been up for 7 years also. I still have some of the original corals I started out with, including a bit of pulsing xenia which has somehow survived a lot of changes including bio-pellets.

Don't panic! There is no need to worry.. unless/until your controller crashes. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that, if something can go wrong, it probably will, at some point. Just enjoy the ride until the wheels fall off. :lol:

Delphinus 03-29-2016 09:13 PM

I wouldn't say "ditch your controller" but ultimately it is a piece of equipment like any other that is prone to eventual failure of some kind. Make sure that there are mitigations in place for any one thing that can take out a tank. In my case I've added a Ranco to my heater: both controllers have to fail for the heater to get stuck powered on. (Frankly I need to go even one step further and buy a smaller wattage heater, shame on me for not having done that yet, I better get on with that.)

But yeah "eggs all in one basket" kinda thing. I do prefer the ability to control outlets via a single controller (and correspondingly using my laptop or phone to do programming adjustments), but that's really where the convenience ends for me.

Delphinus 03-29-2016 09:14 PM

But yeah Kien is right. Eventually a wheel will fall off no matter what you do. Just enjoy the ride and hope for the best and deal with whatever comes your way as it plays out..

GQsmooth 09-24-2016 08:06 PM

Awesome build, how did the ikea countertop hold up? I was thinking of using one for my 220g

kien 09-24-2016 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQsmooth (Post 998972)
Awesome build, how did the ikea countertop hold up? I was thinking of using one for my 220g

Seven years now and still holding up just fine! I think.. I hope.. I better go check.

GQsmooth 09-25-2016 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 998979)
Seven years now and still holding up just fine! I think.. I hope.. I better go check.

Sweet, also did you put anything under your stand to help level it out? Like 1/2" foam, or 3/4 plywood?

kien 09-26-2016 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQsmooth (Post 999004)
Sweet, also did you put anything under your stand to help level it out? Like 1/2" foam, or 3/4 plywood?

There's foam between the tank bottom and the counter top but nothing under the stand itself.

Myka 09-26-2016 03:03 PM

This thread needs some pics.

kien 09-26-2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 999066)
This thread needs some pics.

This thread already has a crap load of pics! :-)

WarDog 09-26-2016 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 999068)

Then shut this tank down and start a new build with new pics.

michika 09-26-2016 04:10 PM

Quote:

No current ones!

Cave to the peer pressure, cave!

Sent from space while riding a T-Rex.

hillegom 09-27-2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

There is never enough pics

Dearth 09-27-2016 12:55 AM

Quote:

I agree with everyone else there is never ever enough pictures

michika 12-01-2016 06:40 PM

Kien!

This thread needs updated photos and an update.

Sent from space riding a T-Rex

Bblinks 12-01-2016 09:42 PM

PLUS 1

Craigdillman 12-02-2016 01:08 AM

I think it should be mandatory to post a bi-weekly picture cause this tank is sick and it inspires me to get back into it again when I'm in between WC or anything

WarDog 12-02-2016 02:02 AM

I forgot you even had a tank. I thought you just came here to do the POTM and ban people.

SteveConn 12-27-2016 05:11 AM

Time to trim

Isnt it time to trim those coral or accidentally break some SPS branches? I'm looking to buy ;-)

DKoKoMan 01-20-2017 06:56 AM

Just finished reading this entire tank journal...#Inspired. Tank looks awesome and I hope everything is still thriving :smile:

lastlight 01-20-2017 11:11 PM

bump.

kien 01-20-2017 11:21 PM

:pop2:

kien 01-21-2017 01:21 AM

OMG, UPDATE!

Okay okay fine.. here's an update!

Wow, I just realized that this tank is going on 8 years running this year. Time flies when you're having (and not having) fun! The tank is actually doing quite well, all things considering (ie, reduced maintenance time). I think the tank has kind of been on auto-pilot for the last couple of years. I haven't really done much to it other than the bare minimum which I would consider:

1. Cleaning algae off the glass.
2. refilling ATO container weekly.
3. Checking for any dead fish (my boxfish died last weekend and nearly nuked the whole tank.. oops!).
4. Empty skimmer cup every 1-2 weeks.
5. Clean out skimmer cup every 3-4 weeks or when my house starts to smell funny. Whichever comes first.
6. Refill autofeeder every 3-4 weeks.
7. Refill carbon and GFO bags (in the sump) every 1 to 6 months.
9. A water change every 1 to 2 months.

I have stopped dosing 2-part (calc/alk). Growth is slow but I'm OK with that for now.

I still quite enjoy having my tank and viewing it but I admit I don't fuss over it like I used. Mostly because I just don't have the time anymore :neutral:

Quote:

Originally Posted by michika (Post 999071)
No current ones!

Cave to the peer pressure, cave!

Sent from space while riding a T-Rex.

Quote:

Originally Posted by michika (Post 1003230)
Kien!

This thread needs updated photos and an update.

Sent from space riding a T-Rex

Incoming! :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craigdillman (Post 1003248)
I think it should be mandatory to post a bi-weekly picture cause this tank is sick and it inspires me to get back into it again when I'm in between WC or anything

See the thing is, the updated picture that I'm about to post probably looks EXACTLY like the last pic from maybe a year or two ago. The tank really hasn't changed much, if at all. I haven't added or removed any corals or fish (other than my boxfish last weekend) so the tank kinda looks the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveConn (Post 1004666)
Isnt it time to trim those coral or accidentally break some SPS branches? I'm looking to buy ;-)

Ya, my larger fish do a got job of fragging and I admit that my sandbed does tend to get littered with some corals, but mostly the vary hardy and easy to acquire pieces like digitata, birdnest, montipora, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKoKoMan (Post 1006429)
Just finished reading this entire tank journal...#Inspired. Tank looks awesome and I hope everything is still thriving :smile:

Thanks! Yes, I think the tank is thriving :-)

Okay, so here's a quick FTS I just snapped on my iPhone. Thanks for your interest and keeping in touch everyone :-)

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/...m.jpg~original

Delphinus 01-21-2017 05:13 AM

That flowerpot is off the charts!!

Dearth 01-21-2017 05:44 AM

You should know by now we have standards to look up to you generally have One of the nicest tanks around and I'm pretty sure if we saw it in person your ego would burst with our comments of praise.

So stop eating that pop corn get your arse off the couch dust off the camera and wow us into your shadows :faint:

DKoKoMan 01-21-2017 07:07 AM

Absolutely stunning, especially with the reduced maintenance schedule. I love the groove you have established as your mature tank really shows! Excellent photographs, your powder blue "ich magnet" is perrrrrty.

This just makes me want to put some lead in to my 150g and get it started... won't be that nice but I can strive toward having a nice mature tank like yours kien.

FishyFishy! 01-21-2017 03:30 PM

Are you still rocking the maristar and the reefbright led's?