Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Aqua forest reef salt (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124035)

1bigfish 08-11-2017 09:05 PM

Aqua forest reef salt

Who is using aqua forest reef salt and what is your thoughts about it?

kyl 08-11-2017 09:13 PM

I switched from reef crystals, overall I'm happy:

Alk is pretty consistent between batches, hovering around 7.7-8, not the lottery that RC seemed to be. Boxes seem more readily available too, but their buckets are an odd size and the lid is kind of a pain to remove. There's also far less sludge/residue after mixing and storing it for a couple days, if that matters.

Some people are stating they've had cyano / dinoflagellate issues after switching, not entirely sure what would be causing that though.

spedly 08-11-2017 09:14 PM

I've been using it for a couple of years. I really like it.

albert_dao 08-11-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyl (Post 1016916)
I switched from reef crystals, overall I'm happy:

Alk is pretty consistent between batches, hovering around 7.7-8, not the lottery that RC seemed to be. Boxes seem more readily available too, but their buckets are an odd size and the lid is kind of a pain to remove. There's also far less sludge/residue after mixing and storing it for a couple days, if that matters.

Some people are stating they've had cyano / dinoflagellate issues after switching, not entirely sure what would be causing that though.

You can get cyano/dinos from trace element imbalances. I'm not saying it's endemic to the salt, but it's something that happens.

JamRobo 08-11-2017 09:44 PM

Ive switched to af reef salt and had major cyano and dino issues. 2 water changes with instant ocean and dinos / cyano is gone and my corals arnt getting smothered anymore....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1bigfish 08-11-2017 09:57 PM

I have been reading of a few people having diatom cyano problems with using aqua forest reef salt also. I just picked up 2 pails after reading a bunch of great reviews, and am now second guessing my choice.

DKoKoMan 08-12-2017 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamRobo (Post 1016921)
Ive switched to af reef salt and had major cyano and dino issues. 2 water changes with instant ocean and dinos / cyano is gone and my corals arnt getting smothered anymore....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I'm with you on the issues. Here is to hoping that by switching back to RC from AF that I get rid of the slime and my corals stop getting smothered.

DKoKoMan 08-12-2017 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1bigfish (Post 1016922)
I have been reading of a few people having diatom cyano problems with using aqua forest reef salt also. I just picked up 2 pails after reading a bunch of great reviews, and am now second guessing my choice.

That is exactly what I did, started nice and slow and wham-o got purple brown slime in LR. Then it got worse and dinoflagellates started and stringy goo was everywhere. I ended up losing 4 coral frags, a colony and some I'm not sure will pull through. May not be the same for everyone but It was very disheartening for me and not worth the lower parameters.

1bigfish 08-12-2017 01:16 AM

That sounds awful....sorry for the loss. Nothing worse then battling Dino cyano, might just stick with RC. Maybe someone will want to trade me 2 pails of AF reef salt for RC.
Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone.

DKoKoMan 08-12-2017 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1bigfish (Post 1016935)
That sounds awful....sorry for the loss. Nothing worse then battling Dino cyano, might just stick with RC. Maybe someone will want to trade me 2 pails of AF reef salt for RC.
Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone.

It's just like anything in this hobby, every tank responds different. I initially made the switch to AF eager as I had heard nothing but good things. Since my experience I have saw similar circumstances posted with using the AF Reef Salt so now it seems more then a coincidence.