Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Seahorse (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   looking for a good dwarf seahorse source (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117961)

Jack_Maturin 01-31-2016 06:21 AM

looking for a good dwarf seahorse source

Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who will ship these to Canada?

reef-keeper 01-31-2016 12:44 PM

Seahorse corral. They are in Florida. That is where I got mine. Very very expensive. Even higher now with the exchange rate.

Myka 01-31-2016 01:24 PM

There was an LFS in Ontario that was importing from Seahorse Corral. I'm not sure if he's still doing it - I'll try to figure out who that was. There is a minimum 100 pony order from Seahorse Corral, so it's not really retail-friendly. :)

You could try contacting Seahorse Canada who raise Erectus, and ask if they know a Canadian source for Dwarfs. Google it, they have a website, but I can't post a link to a non-supporting vendor. Reef Boutique in Toronto has a Facebook page with recent pics of Erectus too.

Maybe rayjay will reply soon, he knows the LFS.

rayjay 01-31-2016 01:54 PM

Ken at Sea U Marine in Markham Ontario started bringing in seahorses from Beth of seahorse corral in Florida after my initial order.
I don't think he will be bringing them in now with the price of the dollar that would make dwarfs probably about $60 each now. The erectus would now be about $100 or more each.
Seahorse Canada started their program with erectus that I brought in years ago.

Myka 01-31-2016 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayjay (Post 980764)
Ken at Sea U Marine in Markham Ontario started bringing in seahorses from Beth of seahorse corral in Florida after my initial order.
I don't think he will be bringing them in now with the price of the dollar that would make dwarfs probably about $60 each now. The erectus would now be about $100 or more each.
Seahorse Canada started their program with erectus that I brought in years ago.

Thanks Ray. I couldn't remember which LFS it was. The dollar situation sucks, but fish prices are higher from all over the world, so maybe he will bring the ponies in anyway.

rayjay 01-31-2016 02:08 PM

I doubt that he will because to make it profitable he has to be able to sell a lot of them and it's already hard here in Ontario to sell at the old prices.
A 100 lot order would not make him any money as his orders typically were in the multiple hundreds.

Jack_Maturin 01-31-2016 03:25 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I checked out seahorse corral and they look to have closed up their business recently according to the "about us" section on their facebook page.

I'll keep looking. I may have to do some cold calling to places in Florida, but then you never know what you are going to get. If people are breeding them anywhere in Canada, it should be easy to ship if Reptiles express still has their fish/marine division going. Maybe there is a breeder somewhere in Canada? Not that I can find on google.

Bill@IA 01-31-2016 03:52 PM

I don't have any Dwarf Seahorses but I can ship you Captive Bred/Tank Raised Seahorses. Here is the link to order: http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/in...oducts_id=3710

Myka 01-31-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack_Maturin (Post 980777)
Thanks for the quick replies. I checked out seahorse corral and they look to have closed up their business recently according to the "about us" section on their facebook page.

I'll keep looking. I may have to do some cold calling to places in Florida, but then you never know what you are going to get. If people are breeding them anywhere in Canada, it should be easy to ship if Reptiles express still has their fish/marine division going. Maybe there is a breeder somewhere in Canada? Not that I can find on google.

That's too bad about Seahorse Corral.

You won't get anyone to ship them to you from the US. Seahorses are CITES protected (like hard corals, clams, and live rock), so they take a lot more time and effort for the shipper to ship across the border than typical fish. This is the same reason why you can never find a US vendor that will ship corals to you across the border.

reef-keeper 01-31-2016 11:45 PM

My order took 6 months to get everything in order.