Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Considering ATO (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83296)

paddyob 02-20-2012 12:15 AM

Considering ATO

I am considering purchasing an Auto Top Off.

Just looking to see how many people use them, and if experience was good, or bad.

When I say bad, I have heard of people's ATOs malfunctioning and overfilling, or failing to function at all.

Also, please let me know what you might be using, as it will guide me to purchase one product or another.

Thanks

MarkoD 02-20-2012 12:19 AM

I have an avast marine ATO. Works great. It has never malfunctioned.

I have a 15 gallon reservoir holding top off water and about 20 gallons of available room in my sump.

And I use an aqualifter pump

sphelps 02-20-2012 12:29 AM

Two solenoids in series connected directly to RO unit and controlled by profilux. Profilux can be replaced with timer and float swtich to do the same thing.
Always used similar systems never had issues plus it's actually automatic, I see little difference between filling a sump or a bin...

paddyob 02-20-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 684281)
Two solenoids in series connected directly to RO unit and controlled by profilux. Always used similar systems never had issues. Profilux can be replaced with timer and float swtich to do the same thing.

Which is more reliable.... or should I even ask? Assume its the current system you use?

The Grizz 02-20-2012 12:32 AM

2 JBJ ATO's on 2 tanks & I will never be without one again.

Reefie 02-20-2012 12:33 AM

I'm running one, just got sick of manually topping off. It paid for itself over the summer as my place has a ton of windows and lots of natural sunlight.

I'd recommend the Tunze Osmolator, super simple to install. Just keep the Top Off tube out of the water or use a check valve. I kept mine out of the water just because if you don't it will back-siphon. The instructions don't mention any of that, I had it submerged, so guess what happened to me? Haha!

lee9 02-20-2012 12:34 AM

JBJ ATO also. I would never go without one again either.

fishytime 02-20-2012 12:41 AM

two words......Tun Ze.........never plumb a never ending source of fresh water directly to your tank.......dont be lazy and use a reservoir

Myka 02-20-2012 12:41 AM

I won't use anything other than a Tunze Osmolator. Never had any issues with them. I have two that are 3 or 4 years old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 684293)
never plumb a never ending source of fresh water directly to your tank.......dont be lazy and use a reservoir

Agreed. 100%

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps
I see little difference between filling a sump or a bin...

If there is a malfunction the difference is a wet floor vs a potential crash from sudden salinity drop. I know of at least 2 or 3 tanks that have had complete crashes this way. Redundancy is insurance, laziness is risk.

wingedfish 02-20-2012 12:45 AM

DIY
Couple of eBay floats in series with an aqua lifter.