Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Dry Rock - BRS (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124097)

GQsmooth 08-20-2017 06:07 AM

Dry Rock - BRS

Anyone ever order from BRS? I'm looking to order their reef saver rock along with some Tonga shelf. If so, did you get raped on shipping?

It seems near impossible to find any dry rock in Canada from anywhere.

WarDog 08-20-2017 06:14 AM

There is only one type of rock that BRS can send to Canada. I forget which one it is, but its not Tonga, Shelf or Pukani. Check their shipping notes on each of the products page.

WarDog 08-20-2017 06:17 AM

Edit : Its the Reef Saver only.

rsisvixen 08-20-2017 07:17 AM

Doesn't JL carry dry marco rock?

GQsmooth 08-20-2017 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 1017311)
Edit : Its the Reef Saver only.

Yeah, I knew that. I just saw that they use UPS, and I assume there will be some extra BS fees at the border. And with 150-200lbs of rock, it won't be looking pretty. I was hoping to hear if anyone had any experience with them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsisvixen (Post 1017313)
Doesn't JL carry dry marco rock?

I believe that's reef supplies, I'm not really interested in Marco unless I hear some good stuff about it. I've heard it's pretty crumbly?? Otherwise that might be the cheapest option.

WarDog 08-20-2017 08:12 AM

Does your LFS not carry Real Reef, Walt Smith Reef Saver or Marco rocks?

WarDog 08-20-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQsmooth (Post 1017314)
Yeah, I knew that. I just saw that they use UPS, and I assume there will be some extra BS fees at the border. And with 150-200lbs of rock, it won't be looking pretty. I was hoping to hear if anyone had any experience with them?

I believe that's reef supplies, I'm not really interested in Marco unless I hear some good stuff about it. I've heard it's pretty crumbly?? Otherwise that might be the cheapest option.

If I remember correctly, BRS adds a tax/fee to all orders going to Canada, which takes care of the brokerage fee at the border. After adding 150 lbs to my cart the totals are:

$388.50 Rock
$69.93 tax/fee
$137.33 UPS standard

$595.76 Total US dollars.

$715 Canadian dollars........

I'd go with Marco from your LFS.

DKoKoMan 08-20-2017 11:31 AM

Wow that cost sure is high. Makes going to your LFS for live or ordering dry rock the only affordable option.

rzadun 08-20-2017 03:23 PM

Live rock

J & J marine in Red Deer has just got sone flat shelf rock and tonga branch. Also a lot of big lumpy stuff. Cheaper to come get it than pay shipping

kyl 08-20-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQsmooth (Post 1017314)

Isn't BRS reefsaver just quarried rock from FLA like Marco? I've gone with Marco and never had an issue. We can't really get "new" Pukani / Tonga in Canada readily anymore since Eli shut down, unless there's another person importing it now.