Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Nano Tank Talk (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   20 gallon nano reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89620)

reefwars 09-10-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanoreefnewbie (Post 744658)
I'll be on the battle field jus signed up...this hobby is getting fun :) hopefully ill be standing at the end of the war lol

it will be a great way to get into the hobby , basically from your contest journal you can ask for whatever help you need, any ideas and feedback.

youll have alot of guidance in your battle i guarantee it:)

plus its for fun, so take off the gloves get dirty and open up the ol noggen for some clean knowlege:)

any questions feel free to pm me:) cheers

nanoreefnewbie 09-10-2012 11:52 PM

I might not be in contest now..:( ..this morning like a idiot I signed up in a rush without fully read rules ..i started my tank a few days ago before been introduced too can reef...my tank is already cycling..I don't and cant provide dry empty pics of tank or equipment..:sad:

Snaz 09-11-2012 12:48 AM

Don't let the big boys with their big tanks intimidate you. Some wise soul once said "It's not how big it is but what you do with it."

Glad to see another nano reefer here!

nanoreefnewbie 09-11-2012 12:51 AM

Who should I ask too see if I'm still in or not I don't mind moving my dead line a month sooner

Snaz 09-11-2012 12:58 AM

First bit of advice I give to anyone building a nano tank is to build or buy an auto top of system. The small volume of water means evaporation will cause your salinity to climb quickly and that is bad for the inhabitants so an ATO is a must as soon as possible.

nanoreefnewbie 09-11-2012 01:51 AM

I replace water and check salitiy daily twice some times think I'm good there:biggrin: I'm more worried about bad algea. And un wanted pest..proper ontime water changes should keep that under rap tho right...?? And still Noone answers my question on my light schedule...

doppelganger 09-14-2012 03:21 PM

lighting schedule is totally dependant on what type of coral you have in there or when you want to view your tank. Fish don't really give a crap about lighting as much. That's something you can easily fiddle with later so I wouldn't worry about it.

If your tank is cycling you don't even need light unless you're trying to keep something alive on the live rock. Cutting the light down (or off completely), while cycling, might actually help with keeping the annoying algae that you'll eventually get while cycling at manageable levels.

nanoreefnewbie 09-15-2012 05:09 PM

Awesome thank you...i do have a star fish that tagged along the live rock I bought from a guys tank...

nanoreefnewbie 09-15-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doppelganger (Post 746002)
lighting schedule is totally dependant on what type of coral you have in there or when you want to view your tank. Fish don't really give a crap about lighting as much. That's something you can easily fiddle with later so I wouldn't worry about it.

If your tank is cycling you don't even need light unless you're trying to keep something alive on the live rock. Cutting the light down (or off completely), while cycling, might actually help with keeping the annoying algae that you'll eventually get while cycling at manageable levels.

I also have some algea break down stuff umm tank buster I belive..will that keep algea too a good level...

doppelganger 09-15-2012 07:34 PM

I'd refrain from using any additives or other stuff. Especially in a nano since the water volume is much smaller. Diatoms and algae are all a part of the cycling process. Be patient and just let the cycle run its course. After that your cuc and proper maintenance will take care of the algae