Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Anyone know a good metal stand fabricator in Vancouver? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96177)

seta45 03-27-2013 04:32 PM

Anyone know a good metal stand fabricator in Vancouver?

Hi,

I am looking for someone in Greater Vancouver that has a proven ability to design/build a metal stand for a 210 gal tank at 72x30x24.

Thanks in advance,
Seta45

Jakegr 03-27-2013 08:12 PM

I got a couple of quotes in Vancouver late last year for a 80"x24"x36" powder coated metal stand. The quotes I got in BC were insane. I ended up having one made by Concept Aquariums in Calgary and having it shipped out to Vancouver. Even including shipping, the total price was about half of what I was being quoted in BC.

spit.fire 03-27-2013 08:41 PM

http://tdsteel.ca/

Fellow reefer, give them a try

seta45 03-28-2013 04:24 AM

Thank you;others

Thank you both for the advice;I will contact both.
Others?
Seta45

The Grizz 03-28-2013 08:21 AM

I am really surprised that there is an issue finding someone to build stands on the west coast, any welding shop should be able to make a rectangle box.

sirruckus 03-28-2013 05:18 PM

people forget businesses are in the market of making money, I work at a fab shop - rate is $75/hr plus materials. Because of liability we need drawings from our customer, not a guide.

Best to contact little rinky dink shops that rely on the small jobs, we like the jobs that keep or shop busy for months, not hours.

a half days labour, couple hundred in material, office time - you can see how it adds up to hundreds of dollars, we sub all our painting out to professionals as well, add cartage and sub-let on top, there you go.

just like a car, anything custom - bring your wallet.

The Grizz 03-28-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirruckus (Post 806527)
people forget businesses are in the market of making money, I work at a fab shop - rate is $75/hr plus materials. Because of liability we need drawings from our customer, not a guide.

Best to contact little rinky dink shops that rely on the small jobs, we like the jobs that keep or shop busy for months, not hours.

a half days labor, couple hundred in material, office time - you can see how it adds up to hundreds of dollars, we sub all our painting out to professionals as well, add cartage and sub-let on top, there you go.

just like a car, anything custom - bring your wallet.

I own a fab shop and can do stand reasonably price of you don't have to take a second mortgage out on your house or sell your first born.

Rates are cheap in Langly!! Here the average shop rate is $130 and any good fab shop could bang out a stand in a couple hrs if they are not dogging it, as well stand materials are reasonable.

sirruckus 03-28-2013 05:30 PM

so your agreeing a stand would be hundreds of dollars - I think its still more than most people want to spend.

$75/hr is a typical rate for some of the shops we are similar too - need to be to be competitive.

for most stands I would estimate 4hrs work @ 75/hr = 300 plus materials , say $500 for a bare steel stand, if I have to do drawings add another $50.

if you want it painted / powder-coated probably close to $1000.00

The Grizz 03-28-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirruckus (Post 806533)
so your agreeing a stand would be hundreds of dollars - I think its still more than most people want to spend.

$75/hr is a typical rate for some of the shops we are similar too - need to be to be competitive.

for most stands I would estimate 4hrs work @ 75/hr = 300 plus materials , say $500 for a bare steel stand, if I have to do drawings add another $50.

if you want it painted / powder-coated probably close to $1000.00

Dont totally agree... about $450 painted - $575 powdercoated......in alberta that is.

seta45 03-28-2013 08:39 PM

Ya Griz,

Too bad you arent closer
Seta45