Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Success with a Pearlberry? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82263)

Reefer Rob 01-20-2012 07:49 PM

Success with a Pearlberry?

Has anyone had success with this coral? I tried it once before, but it didn't get much past the frag stage. A little bit of encrusting but that was it, and the never did get the Pearlberry colors. Eventually it just expired :sad: Perhaps the frag was too small at 3/4"?

I talked to another reef keeper recently who is having a similar experience, his frag came from the same source. Curious, I didn't think they were considered hard to keep.

I love the look of this coral, and I'd like to try again... but I'd like to know that it will stay alive.

reefermadness 01-20-2012 08:28 PM

One of the nicest acropora out there.....mine took a while to get going with nice colour but now it's spectacular.

christyf5 01-20-2012 08:29 PM

Marie has had great success to my knowledge. I've gotten a frag from her about 3 times now and have been unsuccessful every single time. I'm kind of embarassed to ask her for another one :neutral:

Reefer Rob 01-20-2012 08:44 PM

??? what happened to the 3? BTW I think you just asked :mrgreen:

lastlight 01-20-2012 08:49 PM

Mine's been dormant for months but since the transfer it's started budding and developing colour. I moved it higher into the light.

christyf5 01-20-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefer Rob (Post 673579)
??? what happened to the 3? BTW I think you just asked :mrgreen:

LOL, well here's hoping :wink:

I have no idea, started them low to acclimate for lighting then moved them to where I wanted them. They just did nothing in the tank, kind of dormant like Brett said, and then just slowly died off. I had nothing nearby and no other problems with any other SPS in the tank. I even left the last one on its own frag rack and it still died.

Reefer Rob 01-20-2012 08:56 PM

Exact same thing in my tank! Everything else was doing great, but this little coral just sat there looking like :sad:

christyf5 01-20-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefer Rob (Post 673584)
Exact same thing in my tank! Everything else was doing great, but this little coral just sat there looking like :sad:

yeah its the weirdest thing. Although I've had a couple other frags do that to me. Currently a frag I got from Chaloupa (original from snappy) is just starting to show color and a small branch after almost a year in my tank. Its high up and has always looked ok (ie polyps extended) but a blah color. The branch is just a gorgeous blue with green. Not sure what prompted the sudden growth. Same goes for a humilis frag I've had for well over a year (although those are reportedly slow growers).

marie 01-20-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 673577)
Marie has had great success to my knowledge. I've gotten a frag from her about 3 times now and have been unsuccessful every single time. I'm kind of embarassed to ask her for another one :neutral:

I had success and now I don't :sad:

It decided to up and die on me one day......I guess there is no point asking you for a frag :lol:

christyf5 01-20-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marie (Post 673591)
I had success and now I don't :sad:

It decided to up and die on me one day......I guess there is no point asking you for a frag :lol:

Aw, sorry to hear that Marie, it was doing so well :neutral: LOL, sorry I don't have any frags for you :razz: