Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Mixing wrasses (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59598)

blueyota 01-05-2010 05:58 AM

Mixing wrasses

Im really starting to take a liking to wrasses and i wanted to know if there were any that dont get along well with other wrasses....if one is more prone to jump then the next
Thanks

blueyota 01-05-2010 06:04 AM

forgot to mention i have a cleaner and a solon fairy in there now :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic 01-05-2010 08:19 AM

My blue-sided fairy wrasse has killed or chased out of the tank several other wrasses. My large yellow Canary wrasse is the only one that he plays nice with.

staceyd72 01-05-2010 01:14 PM

Hi Shawn,

I have a Solon(Cirrhilabrus solorensis) as well, he was one of my first wrasse(7 years). My Solon used to be the boss of all the wrasse especially any other Cirrhilabrus that has a similar body; but over the past year it has settled down quite a lot and does not bother with any new additions. My Blue Streak (Labroides dimidiatus) cleaner will pick on every fish in the tank and is notorious for chasing any new wrasse, especially the smaller ones. New additions will no doubt get picked on for the first few days.

I have found that most are peaceful inhabitants and only quarrel after a feeding when the flashers seem to flash at the same time. The most aggressive is my Naoko when flashing, and will force others to jump.

It’s unpredictable as to which fish may jump, so it’s in their best interest to keep a cover. I have 15 different wrasse and all of them have at one time ended up in my overflow.
My only experience is with the reef save wrasse, however, I did have a Formosa (Coris formosa) a long time ago and it’s not one you would want in a reef tank.

HTH

Snappy 01-05-2010 04:02 PM

I personally believe the tank size has a lot to do with them fighting and jumping. They need room to flee if threatened and the best option is for them to have space to swim out of harms way horizontally and not vertically because they often can't stop when they reach the surface. I have 9 wrasses in my tank and they all get along fine but they have also ample room. These include a yellow coris, radiant, mystery, leopard, pencil, solar, 6 line, etc.
Some like the 6 line for example don't play nice with others that have the same body shape so try to mix them up a bit.

Skimmerking 01-05-2010 04:47 PM

I agree with Snappy on this on, in my 75 gal i had a Leopard, yellow and a SIx line the 6 line was a ass who chased them both and picked on. the fairy, leopard and yellow are great choices to put together.

blueyota 01-05-2010 04:58 PM

Great!!! Thanks for the replys I will try to keep there body shapes and colors from being to similar

blueyota 01-05-2010 05:02 PM

Yea im not a big fan of the sixline ...every one i see in someone elses tank is the prick :twised:

wickedfrags 01-05-2010 06:22 PM

While I have enjoyed wrasses for many years I no longer collect them, at least not the expensive ones anyway as I have found many do not survive long term.

Despite my tank being completely covered, many have still found a way out or, or have simmply disappeared (specially the deep-water wrasses). Take this into considereation before you consider the more expensive/collectible wrasses.

Zoaelite 01-05-2010 07:54 PM

I have 2 yellow corris and a fairy in a 165g and they get along just fine.
Levi