Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Canreef Nano Contest 2012 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=233)
-   -   SeaHorse_Fanatic's 2012 nano contest entry (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89958)

SeaHorse_Fanatic 09-20-2012 05:33 AM

SeaHorse_Fanatic's 2012 nano contest entry

since everyone else has jumped in with both feet, I thought I should at least get my toes wet. Still not 100% decided yet, but I have a 2g Fluval Spec sitting on my desk for the last 2 months begging to be set up. Comes with a stock LED light, but its just white, so I will have to add a blue LED moonlight/actinic to turn it into a proper reef light.

With my busy schedule, this will have to be a low maintenance nano but being only 2 g, it'll be easy enough to take some water out and add some from one of my other bigger reef tanks. 30 second water changes, wooohoo.

I also plan to not spend almost anything on it, just "borrowing" stuff from my other reef tanks or from my huge store of excess equipment, sand, etc. I've accumulated over the last 10 years. The only purchase I foresee right now is a small piece of Tonga branching from my friend Franklin. Live rock will be fully cured so little to no cycle is expected.

Fish will be limited to baby captive breds. Coral frags and other livestock will also come from other tanks. I plan to have it completely stocked with aquacultured specimens, except maybe a Hawaiian feather duster.

I will post pics when I have more time.

Cheers,

Anthony

reefwars 09-20-2012 05:36 AM

love the captive bred idea , following along for sure:)

SeaHorse_Fanatic 09-20-2012 05:42 AM

I may also decide to go bigger and change my Fluval Flora (8 g) back into a sw nano reef. Decisions, decisions.

Enigma 09-20-2012 12:07 PM

I'm really looking forward to this build. I Became frustrated with my Spec and gave up on it.

fishoholic 09-20-2012 01:22 PM

Cool. I did the same thing with my rock, went digging in my other tank and Doug's tank for some.

Acipenser 09-22-2012 01:08 AM

Looking forward to see what you come up with Anthony !

Tom R 09-22-2012 01:54 AM

Go Anthony Go

Tom R

SeaHorse_Fanatic 09-29-2012 06:06 AM

Well, now I have to decide whether to do the 2g Spec or 8g Flora since Felicia has asked that one of her fw tanks become a nano-reef. Totally HER idea, just out of the blue. I guess she's bored with 3 fw tanks on her desk. I hadn't even mentioned the nano contest to anyone at home or tried to talk to Felicia about converting her tank (yet). Wow, I did a great job raising my mini-me reefer ;)

So now to rethink my nano project to go bigger, but same ideas.

Enigma 09-29-2012 12:35 PM

While I'd love to see you work with the Spec, the Flora has four times the water volume and would probably be the better choice in the long run. It doesn't have back chambers though, does it?

SeaHorse_Fanatic 09-30-2012 06:17 AM

No it doesn't. May look at another alternative to the Spec or Flora but we'll see. Operating on 3 hours sleep so now is not a good time to make a decision.