Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Flame Angel and reef experiences (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89255)

gregzz4 08-30-2012 02:27 AM

Flame Angel and reef experiences

Well, here's another one of 'these' questions ...

I'm looking for experiences with Flame Angels

- How often and how much do/did you feed your angel ?

- Do/did you have any issues with yours being a coral eater, or a bully ?

Casey8 08-30-2012 02:56 AM

I have been owning the flame angel since I got into this saltwater hobby. In my experience and as everybody knows, there is a miss and hit about them, no guarantees. The one I am having right now has never touched any corals, but extremely bully with any fish, especially if they have a smaller size than him. And as I have learned so far, this fish should be the last one introduced into your tank. About feeding, I feed twice a day, I don't like to torture my fish :twised: and when they are full they will leave your corals alone.

waynemah 08-30-2012 04:05 AM

I recently lost a flame angel, not sure why (only fish to go missing).

He ate pellets twice per day and on the odd day I'd feed frozen. Added a real component to the tank, he was by far one of the more stunning creatures in the tank.

I'm not sure if I'd get another one though, my polyp extension is AMAZING!!! I never witnessed him pick at corals, but it's quite obvious that he did.

Nano 08-30-2012 04:12 AM

My cherub was well behaved, he will be missed, from what I've read and IME they are fairly safe, i hear mixed reactions on flames though

daplatapus 08-30-2012 05:02 AM

I've had mine almost from the beginning. He's never bullied any other fish and right now is best buds with my kole tang. But as I've added more and more sps, he seems to be taking a liking to nipping the ends :evil:

gregzz4 08-31-2012 08:31 AM

Anyone else ???

I know I'm playing with 'fire' with a 'flame' angel ...

Or, any other substitutes for a nice red fish would be welcome :mrgreen:

I've even thought about a longnose hawk, and I won't keep shrimps
But, I have a 2" goby, so, for now, that's out ...

Also on the list is a highfin perchlet, but neither are as nice as a flame angel :wink:

Nano 08-31-2012 11:08 AM

If your not keeping shrimp there's a few hawkfish, I asked about them before and was shied away from them. But I do love flame hawks. As for reds, there are fairy/flasher wrasses as well which are colorful and quite peaceful from what I've read for the most part. K back to work now.. lol seriously who wants to work at 4am for me on Monday? :lol:blaaahhhh
Good luck with the search dude

Willito 08-31-2012 02:04 PM

I had a trio of Flames in one tank over almost two years that nipped constantly at all my SPS but did not touch any LPS. I didn't have soft corals in this tank. They were feed well. I find dwarf angels are safer with soft/LPS than they are with SPS.

tang daddy 08-31-2012 04:29 PM

A long nose hawk is totally reef safe, you've seen mine....although it's not red red like a flame. The flame hawkfish are more red but kinda turn into a ruby red as they age. There are lots of red fish in the wrasse family, most will be flashers and are super friendly, if you really want an angel and don't mind a few nips on sps here and there I say do it, for me I'd sacrifice owning and angel in a mixed reef as I cant stand tracy's and other Lps along with sps getting nipped....

cwatkins 08-31-2012 07:06 PM

My Flame Angel is a model citizen in my reef. Although my Coral Beauty was a little rude when I introduced the Flame Angel last year. But they get together well now.