Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ever wonder what happens if a big 200plus tank blows (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119162)

msjboy 04-18-2016 06:02 AM

Ever wonder what happens if a big 200plus tank blows

Interesting thread from a person who had a catasphrophic blowout,,,http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2532303....
Also see thread page 5 on safety factor on your seals/ load in the thread.:wink:

iamfrontosa 04-18-2016 08:39 AM

damn. i actually read the whole thread.... i am now having a second thought about getting a 340g rimless.

Myka 04-18-2016 01:18 PM

I find it interesting that everyone on RC is bashing the manufacturer warranty when their warranty is quite standard. Most tank manufacturers will not warranty a tank the is put on a stand not built by the manufacturer. However, it looks like a manufacturing defect because that front panel essentially dropped right off the front of the tank in one fell swoop. I'm not a tank manufacturer, but it looks like the silicone skinned over before they got that panel in place.

mrhasan 04-18-2016 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 989190)
I find it interesting that everyone on RC is bashing the manufacturer warranty when their warranty is quite standard. Most tank manufacturers will not warranty a tank the is put on a stand not built by the manufacturer. However, it looks like a manufacturing defect because that front panel essentially dropped right off the front of the tank in one fell swoop. I'm not a tank manufacturer, but it looks like the silicone skinned over before they got that panel in place.

That's clearly a manufacturer's defect since the front window popped up like that and I am 99.99% sure it has nothing to do with the stand. If it was something to do with the stand, the joints would crack but a civil/structural engineer can confirm that. But yes, that is a pretty standard warranty procedure from tank manufacturers.

Dearth 04-18-2016 03:30 PM

Reminds me of a 190 gallon Fresh Water tank that had a catastrophic failure here in town 9 years ago it was determined that the stand which was bought from the manufacturer was defective however it took the fellow 2 years of legal wrangling to get the manufacturer to admit it was a defect. In the settlement he got financial compensation and a brand new tank and stand free of charge from the manufacturer.

In the mean time insurance covered most of the damage but it put a huge strain on his relationship with his GF at the time fortunately they mended fences and had a great wedding 4 yrs ago and now they have two 160 gallon FW tanks and 3 kids and way too many dogs.

Bugger 04-18-2016 05:57 PM

Have you guys heard about peters 1200 gallon breaking
ATM woulden't honor their warrenty either

mrhasan 04-18-2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugger (Post 989214)
Have you guys heard about peters 1200 gallon breaking
ATM woulden't honor their warrenty either

Yah saw that one too; the way he wrote everything, you can literally feel what he was going through. I felt really bad for him. Acrylic tanks are more prone to breaking that glass tanks but accident (or in some cases, manufacturers defect) can happen.

WarDog 04-18-2016 07:16 PM

Who has 650 gallons of saltwater in a recently renovated house without adequate insurance?

Dearth 04-18-2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 989218)
Who has 650 gallons of saltwater in a recently renovated house without adequate insurance?

That is the $64 question

mrhasan 04-18-2016 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 989218)

Don't forget those fancy hardwood floors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearth (Post 989219)
That is the $64 question

:razz: