Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lighting opionions (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122302)

CandyCane 01-31-2017 06:24 PM

Lighting opionions

I currently have 2 "MARINE & REEF FULL SPECTRUM PERFORMANCE LED STRIP LIGHT" for my 35 gal tank. I've heard these aren't the best lights. Does anyone have experience with them growing sps and lps corals?
Also does anyone have the orbit marine led and love it?

mseepman 01-31-2017 08:01 PM

Maybe could you give us some more detail? Are these Fluval? Are they Chinese?

crimper 01-31-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mseepman (Post 1007447)
Are they Chinese?

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

This cracked me up. Sorry. :redface:

DKoKoMan 01-31-2017 08:22 PM

Photographs of the lights and view of the lit tank help as well. You won't know for certain unless you can get a hold of a PAR meter.

ReefMadness 01-31-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandyCane (Post 1007442)
I currently have 2 "MARINE & REEF FULL SPECTRUM PERFORMANCE LED STRIP LIGHT" for my 35 gal tank. I've heard these aren't the best lights. Does anyone have experience with them growing sps and lps corals?
Also does anyone have the orbit marine led and love it?

i have one of current +'s led lights from a previous tank and while it has great lighting effects it isn't particularly powerful. this is consistent with all i've ever read about the orbit marine as well. softies and lps is about as much as you can expect to successfully keep with these fixtures.

CandyCane 01-31-2017 10:08 PM

Sorry text must have cut open during the copy paste.
I have 2 fluval reef led's

CandyCane 01-31-2017 11:01 PM

The tank it's for isn't finished yet, so it's not yet running at all. I'm building a custom 35 gal with a 10 gal sump. I want to grow coral frags so I'm hoping to find a light that will grow both sps and lps coral. I have 2 fluval reef lights from the fluval m90 I picked up to do my build. I want to know if I should replace these lights with something better. I tried looking up Google reviews on the best LED lighting for corals but the recommendations weren't the best.
What are you guys using?

Moogled 02-01-2017 04:25 AM

I run an 18" Marine Orbit LED on a 5 gallon Fluval Spec V.

It's only 18w so you can keep some basic LPS and softies if you wanted to.

Wouldn't expect too much growth but I like the controllability and that it comes with 4 pre-programmed templates that I can tinker with.

It has a nice colour but honestly it cost me 190 bucks from JLAquatics after shipping. I would have preferred to find a used option elsewhere, especially when people are selling Gen 2 Radions for $300.

Only thing that's annoying is that the Orbit also comes with several "novelty" lighting options like dynamic lighting and thunderstorm mode. Monkey business!

CandyCane 02-01-2017 04:29 AM

Monkey business is right! I think they were trying to sell that some corals only breed during thunderstorms...
Okay so if I scrap those crappy LED options, what is the most desirable but still a reasonable cost? Or is going all out on an expensive light really really worth while?

WarDog 02-01-2017 04:46 AM

A 6 bulb T5 fixture is your best bet. Reliable and proven to grow SPS. You won't regret it.