Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A sad day (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60185)

Triggz 01-20-2010 08:16 AM

A sad day

I was feeding my seahorses tonight like I usually do after work. After watching my male suck up some mysis for a few minutes I realized I didn't see the female. I wasn't too worried about it as sometimes she would be on the other side of the tank hunting pods or hanging out. I walked away from the tank for a few minutes and then came back and still didn't see her. Now im a little worried, so I start to look around the tank and end up finding her stuck in a piece of liverock dead! :sad:

I went to take her out and couldn't understand how she was so stuck! At this point I took a closer look only to find a big nasty crab playing tug-o-war with me on the other side!! This is the first time I have even seen this thing. As soon as I got her free I lost the crab in the liverock. :censored:

Im not really sure if she actually got stuck or if the crab pulled her into the liverock. Either way it just sux! My seahorses were the only thing I brought with me when I moved here from Ontario. I had them shipped overnight. Up until I left Ontario they were breeding every 15 days and rayjay was raising the fry.

Im gonna have one sad male seahorse in the morning :sad:

Leah 01-20-2010 11:17 AM

Sorry to hear that!

The Grizz 01-20-2010 03:09 PM

Sorry to hear this Ryan, that truely sucks man.

fishoholic 01-20-2010 03:54 PM

That really sucks, sorry to hear.

Trocar61 01-20-2010 04:01 PM

Hey that really does suck. Sorry to here that. hope you can find the male a new friend.

Triggz 01-20-2010 05:00 PM

Thanks guys.

Im not really sure were to go from here. Mixing seahorses from different sources can be risky and is usually not recommended, so finding him a new mate might be a no go.

Zoaelite 01-20-2010 05:46 PM

That really sucks Ryan, they were a breeding pair too right?

Triggz 01-20-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoaElite (Post 483488)
That really sucks Ryan, they were a breeding pair too right?

Yes they were. Haven't had a batch since moving them across the country but in Ontario they were breeding every 15 days to the day. Ray has a few of the fry to almost a year now.

The Grizz 01-20-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triggz (Post 483531)
Yes they were. Haven't had a batch since moving them across the country but in Ontario they were breeding every 15 days to the day. Ray has a few of the fry to almost a year now.

Dumb question but could you use a female from the fry as a mate or is that considered inbreeding for seahorse as well, I am not a mrine biologist so I had to ask.

freddy 01-20-2010 11:01 PM

Find the crab and get rid of him,I've lost a few fish to crabs.