Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Might be moving what to do with tank? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=128557)

Llorgon 07-12-2019 03:51 PM

Might be moving what to do with tank?

Ok so I might be moving to Kelowna in a few months. Wife is in the running for a job there. We have our what if scenarios planned for everything but the reef tank.

Tank is 75 gallons with a 20 gallon sump. A few corals, mostly frags, 2 clown fish, royal gramma, yellow tang, urchin and a small assortment of snails and hermits.

When I moved to the place I am currently living in I had a 65 gallon freshwater tank and that move was pretty much a day. And that was from Richmond to Coquitlam.

What are my options of moving the tank 5 ish hours on winding roads where the entire move will probably have to be done in one day?

Dash 07-12-2019 08:24 PM

That sounds like quite the task but so glad that you’re sticking with it.
Good luck!

Llorgon 07-12-2019 09:47 PM

I'm kind of leaning to trying to find someone to take the fish and the corals for a week or two, move, set the tank up have it all ready and come back to pick the fish and coral up on a different day. I think that would be easier than doing it all at once.

Frogger 07-12-2019 10:04 PM

Long distance moves are very difficult. I did it 30 years ago when I moved from Vancouver to Penticton and moved it back 2 years later. Wasn't dealing with corals back then.

Basically I set up a new tank in Penticton, moved some of the rock and sand one week. Came back and moved all the fish the following week. Took down the old tank. Then re-set up the old tank in my new place, then transferred the fish, rock and dismantled the extra tank. You almost need a complete other setup to make this method work.

Not fun at all, I was young and foolish. The biggest problem is it is not just a fish tank you have to move but all your belongings as well. Way too stressful. If I had to do it again I might just sell everything alive and start again.

Llorgon 07-13-2019 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogger (Post 1037328)
Long distance moves are very difficult. I did it 30 years ago when I moved from Vancouver to Penticton and moved it back 2 years later. Wasn't dealing with corals back then.

Basically I set up a new tank in Penticton, moved some of the rock and sand one week. Came back and moved all the fish the following week. Took down the old tank. Then re-set up the old tank in my new place, then transferred the fish, rock and dismantled the extra tank. You almost need a complete other setup to make this method work.

Not fun at all, I was young and foolish. The biggest problem is it is not just a fish tank you have to move but all your belongings as well. Way too stressful. If I had to do it again I might just sell everything alive and start again.

I'm really hoping to not start again. Especially since I'm getting some growth from the corals again. But I realize that starting over would probably be the easiest approach.

I have a 10 gallon tank I use as a quarantine that I could use as a temp thing, but that wouldn't be great for the tang...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Frogger 07-13-2019 02:41 AM

For short periods large brute containers with some live rock and small power heads/ airstones work well. It also reduces stress on the fish because they can't see out.

When I moved my large reef tank (mostly softies) from Surrey to Burnaby 20 years ago. I kept everything in large garbage cans and rubber made totes. I had about 15 of them around the room on the floor. Unfortunately it took me over a month to set my 240 gallon back up (busy refinishing the floors and painting the new house) I lost half of the fish and corals. By time I got everything re-set up and running I got a major algae outbreak and eventually shut down that reef tank and made it a fish only tank for 15 years until the plexiglass tank started to crack and I shut it down.

Llorgon 07-14-2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogger (Post 1037333)
For short periods large brute containers with some live rock and small power heads/ airstones work well. It also reduces stress on the fish because they can't see out.

When I moved my large reef tank (mostly softies) from Surrey to Burnaby 20 years ago. I kept everything in large garbage cans and rubber made totes. I had about 15 of them around the room on the floor. Unfortunately it took me over a month to set my 240 gallon back up (busy refinishing the floors and painting the new house) I lost half of the fish and corals. By time I got everything re-set up and running I got a major algae outbreak and eventually shut down that reef tank and made it a fish only tank for 15 years until the plexiglass tank started to crack and I shut it down.

I have 4 fish and a bunch of coral frags. Wouldn't take me months to set the tank up again. Probably just a week or two.

I guess corals and fish could be transported up in them and then be fine in them for a week or two while I get the tank up and running again