Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   You know there is a worker shortage when... (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36887)

michika 11-06-2007 04:14 PM

You know there is a worker shortage when...

I know there are a lot of jobs, and that people are just hiring anyone, but seriously, couldn't employers check for brain activity first?!

My trip to the gas station

me: "Hi I'd like to pay for my gas please"
cashier: "I'm sorry our debit machine is down, but you can get cash from inside XXX with your debit card"
me: "okay"
cashier "but you need to leave your debit card here for collateral"
me: "but I need my debit card to take out money."
cashier: blank stare
me: "Can I give you my keys as collateral"
cashier "but you might drive way without paying for your gas"
me: rolling my eyes "you have my car keys though, I can't drive away."
cashier: "but you may have another key"
me: looks at my phone for the time, "how about I just pay with cash
cashier: "but our debit machine is down"
me: Just gives the cashier the cash...

I just want to shake some people and ask if anyone is home!

skylord 11-06-2007 04:27 PM

Too funny....I had the same experience but it was the store owner. So my question....how do they hire someone with brain activity if the lights aren't on at home?

Scott

SeaHorse_Fanatic 11-06-2007 04:42 PM

Yeah, I'd be in jail right now for slapping the clerk out of frustration.

The never mentioned in the papers downside of the booming economy is that we get down to the dregs because all the competent people are already hired & businesses become desperate just for bodies.:sad:

Glad I'm self-employed & not out competing for workers.

Anthony

digital-audiophile 11-06-2007 04:51 PM

If their debit and bank machines are down they should put signs on the pumps.

If it was me I would have been screwed as I never carry cash, I use my debit for everything.

michika 11-06-2007 05:01 PM

I usually keep $40 on me in cash, but never use it, just in case. It definitely paid off.

BC564 11-06-2007 05:20 PM

I never have cash on me.....unless I am picking up a frag from someone....I always have to go for cash first. But I have recently emailed cash...which was quite the experience...

Delphinus 11-07-2007 06:13 AM

Wow... Stellar...

Zylumn 11-07-2007 05:58 PM

Another Funny one.

About 6 months ago I was in Edmonton in the SE on 22nd off Hwy 2 there is a shopping complex. I went in there to get a quick bite to eat and went to a Pita place. My bill was around 8$ and debit and credit was down. All I had was my emergency $100.00 dollar bill. The young kid at the till gave me $72 dollar change. I recounted and said you still owe me $20. Well the kid said we don't have any more $ in the till and gave me back my $100.00 bill and (my pita) and asked me to go down the block to a bank to get change. I could not believe it but I did bring back the change. Then the kid tried to give me back $92 in change. At that point the owner came in and we straightened it out. Needless to say I got my origional 100 back and an extra pita and drink for the drive back to Cal. With staff like that how could a business make money ??? ( they were lucky I was in an honest mood)

Der_Iron_Chef 11-07-2007 06:31 PM

Wow. That's unbelievable! I'm not quite sure what my reaction would have been.

RicePaddy 11-07-2007 06:47 PM

I had a fast food drive though cashier ask me for a tip. Since when should you expect a tip for pushing pictures of burgers and fries. Worse of all the kid was sitting on a chair and not even standing. I laughed so hard I almost puked.

I am sure glad I grew up in the 70/80's.

Will

P.S. I would have laughed in that Gas Attendants face and just gone to get my cash. What a joke.