Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Vacations? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101614)

Doc_Polit 10-20-2013 01:08 AM

Vacations?

I am considering setting up a reef tank in the not too distant future.

However, my wife and I will be spending 3 weeks in the UK next summer.

How do you reef keepers maintain your tanks over lengthy vacations? Any tips to prevent coming home to a dying "cesspool"?

If I cannot figure something out, my build will likely be cancelled (for the sake of my marriage and my health). Lol.

mrhasan 10-20-2013 01:19 AM

Two things that would come right off the mind: ATO with enough reserve for double the time you will be out. And a controller so that you can look at the tank's condition through internet. And maybe a wifi camera just to add a bit of relaxation :D

For food: maybe ask someone to come every three/four days to drop off some food into the tank. To me, asking someone to dump food everyday is a bad idea. Also don't keep any anthias.

Azzkr 10-20-2013 01:27 AM

ATO and a automatic feed with someone coming by once a week to refill the feeder.

reefermadness 10-20-2013 02:07 AM

Spend the money on good automation with lots of fail safe, backup, webcam and text alerts....Its possible if you plan right. Or maybe you would want to wait. Personally I always thought if I couldnt go on vacation with a reef tank I wouldnt have one. So I just go on vacation and I've always had good luck pretty much. Of course my trips are usually only a week long (no one watches the tank), not 3.

Aquattro 10-20-2013 02:11 AM

I also typically go for a week at a time, leaving the tank on it's own. For three weeks, I'd arrange a sitter to feed the tank. Everything else is fine on it's own.
I did once go to SE Asia for 6 weeks, I sold my tank before going :) Bought a bigger one when I got back!

eli@fijireefrock.com 10-20-2013 03:10 AM

3 weeks a bit long to stay away from your tank without having someone with good knowledge for what your system will be.
I would look into getting someone in the hobby to watch over the system not just any joe from any LFS.

Doc_Polit 10-20-2013 06:42 PM

I should add that my 3 sons will be staying behind so the tank can be monitored daily (just not by someone necessarily knowledgeable).

My 14-year old is very responsible and has a real interest in aquariums. I would likely task him with some very simple tasks such as pre-portioned feedings every 3-4 days, topping up my ATO container and ensuring that all pumps are running.

I am also hoping that I could ask a reefer in my area to act as "emergency" contact.

I kinda feel like if something is going to fail during that 3 weeks, it will fail whether I am home or not.

Thanks for your feedback so far. Any additional thoughts?

kien 10-20-2013 11:47 PM

Get a tank sitter! There are businesses / LFS that will do this.

Magickiwi 10-21-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 852713)
Get a tank sitter! There are businesses / LFS that will do this.

Have you used one? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a stranger looking after my tank etc.

kien 10-21-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magickiwi (Post 852721)
Have you used one? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a stranger looking after my tank etc.

I've had a couple of different tank sitters. Both of which I met on canreef. They've worked out quite well. You definitely should develope a relationship with them first if you are unease letting strangers sit your tank.

I've never used a commercial service but have friends that do. There are reputable services in town.