Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Is the weak Canadian dollar influencing your reef purchases? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117965)

Myka 01-31-2016 01:45 PM

Is the weak Canadian dollar influencing your reef purchases?

How is the weak Canadian dollar affecting you? It's multiple choice. :)

MitchM 01-31-2016 01:52 PM

I'm triple checking all purchase prices and holding off buying anything unless necessary.

corpusse 01-31-2016 01:58 PM

Each time I see the price of something I am more and more shocked. I recently saw flame angels for $65 when they were usually 40-45 locally. Salt has gone up too. At least pe mysis won't go up in price.

Howie 01-31-2016 04:29 PM

Even though prices are higher I am still purchasing things. If the dollar stays crappy for awhile and everyone holds on spending then eventually all of your favorite stores online/local will close shop. Paying a higher price sucks for sure but not being able to drop into a lfs would suck even more.

brotherd 01-31-2016 04:43 PM

I have a wish list of items that I can't get locally. Unfortunately those will have to wait until the dollar improves or I get fed up with waiting. Whichever comes first :)

Dearth 01-31-2016 05:07 PM

I haven't really noticed an increase in online prices mind you I haven't been looking too hard either with that being said if we want an item where I live we have no choice but to have it shipped as we have no local distributor per se so for us it has always been the cost of this hobby to pay.

The Guy 01-31-2016 06:09 PM

:canada:Our weak dollar makes it the pits to buy anything in the states so I've cut back on US purchases of anything. But "it is what it is" as they say but it sucks.

reef-keeper 01-31-2016 11:53 PM

Even buying locally is getting pricey. I had to pick up filters for my RO/DI unit and paid over $100.00. And I didn't buy the DI resin, they were out of stock. Normally it would under that including DI resin.

Icefire 02-01-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reef-keeper (Post 980904)
Even buying locally is getting pricey. I had to pick up filters for my RO/DI unit and paid over $100.00. And I didn't buy the DI resin, they were out of stock. Normally it would under that including DI resin.

It's all USD sourced be it China or USA.

gobytron 02-01-2016 04:35 PM

I hadn't been in an LFS for a year or so and went on a tour a month back and was gagging at prices all across the board.

RBS, one of the financial institutions that has a phenomenal track record of monitoring the currencies, has stated they are betting on .59 USD cent Canadian Dollar.

Canada held rates steady and the USA decided to do the same...not sure many people saw that combination coming.

It's scary out there.

Our economy is SO resource based now, especially oil and it's derivatives.

Oil recovery will be years...or will take an OPEC miracle.

I'm like 60% cash now.