Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   lastlight's 28 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91143)

lastlight 10-29-2012 03:53 PM

lastlight's 28

You can quit the hobby but in my case it never quits me. FML :mrgreen:

lastlight 10-29-2012 04:05 PM

My buddy has had his 28 JBJ Nanocube HQI for 4 years. No water changes in the last 2, original bulb even. I suspected he wasn't really feeling the hobby these days (years) so I suggested we work out a deal and here we are. I drove to his place with nothing remaining from the hobby except an empty 5g pail which I did bring!

Picked up the tank Saturday and by early Sunday it was cleaned and on a new stand! I recently did wainscotting in the livingroom so the new stand needed to match. I'm still on a white paint kick :biggrin:

It's sorta funny using a refractometer with someone else's initial written on the box lol. The tank included 2 clowns, a 6-line I rehomed, lots of torch coral, some frogspawn, featherduster, boatloads of shrooms and aiptasia.

Game on?

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/28/dirty1.jpg

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/28/dirty2.jpg

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/28/dirty3.jpg

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/28/dirty4.jpg

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/28/dirty5.jpg

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/28/dirty6.jpg

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/28/dirty7.jpg

Delphinus 10-29-2012 04:10 PM

It's nice!

I like those tanks. One day when I downgrade I might do a similar setup myself.

Your signature .. :lol: ....

lastlight 10-29-2012 04:21 PM

Things I need to do (I'm posting here so you guys can pretend to care lol):

- Replace bulb
- Get me some ROX 0.8
- Replace membranes and filters for ro/di (this initial fill is 100% tapwater)
- get new airstone for the 'skimmer' <-- Geez
- Find replacement for my Ranco temp controller which I borrowed back for now
- Continue praying yesterday's top temp of 82F is not exceeded before summer comes and we hopefully get central AC!

JDigital 10-29-2012 04:25 PM

I couldn't help but LOL in the office when saw a new thread from you. How long will this one last? :lol:

Wanna frag a head of that Torch! Looks like you got a few extra! :mrgreen:

Good to see you back.. I'm going to have to check out your 392.. I don't recall that build.

Delphinus 10-29-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 759276)
Things I need to do (I'm posting here so you guys can pretend to care lol):

- Replace bulb

I honestly think a tank of this size is begging for LED's of some kind. (I say this being a card carrying member of the Losers without LED club). But seriously, a halide over 28 gallons in 2012 is kind of silly.
Quote:

- Get me some ROX 0.8
Vertex packages ROX 0.8 now and you can get it from everyone's favourite tank builder (new and improved formulation now with moar Newfie content too)

Quote:

- Replace membranes and filters for ro/di (this initial fill is 100% tapwater)
- get new airstone for the 'skimmer' <-- Geez
Hey, don't knock the counter current skimmers. Pound for pound they are still among the most effective skimmers (yeah, replacing airstones and airpumps is a drag)

Quote:

- Find replacement for my Ranco temp controller which I borrowed back for now
- Continue praying yesterday's top temp of 82F is not exceeded before summer comes and we hopefully get central AC!
See above re. LED's :p

lastlight 10-29-2012 04:35 PM

There is aiptasia galore in here so not sure you want a frag. There is a smaller 4 head piece I could trade though?

The pictures are no longer there for the 392 I will have to dig around to find them in my photo library some day. It was a big ugly tank nuff said!

Coralgurl 10-29-2012 04:37 PM

Welcome Back!!! Seeing you starting to post again, had to assume something was up! Congrats on the 28, its cute!! :mrgreen:

mseepman 10-29-2012 04:37 PM

Just so glad to see you back!

JDigital 10-29-2012 04:38 PM

I've got ZERO to trade.. :lol: shame it is aiptasia infected. Maybe I'll pass.

lastlight 10-29-2012 04:39 PM

Tony I'm back because I'm getting back cheap. Replacing a single bulb every year (hey a 4 year old stock bulb kept the torch alive pretty well so maybe it can last longer!) that looks really nice vs going with a $400 LED unit that I won't even like the looks of.

Is the Vertex ROX the real deal? I'll have to get some once Dave gets my bulbs and ro/di stuff in.

lastlight 10-29-2012 04:41 PM

Thanks guys. Creeping the forums silently out of habit just felt wrong ya know?

Delphinus 10-29-2012 04:43 PM

http://www.modularled.ca/29g-biocube/

I'd give it a think.

And yes, the Vertex Rox is the real deal... :)

lastlight 10-29-2012 04:48 PM

That's $270 with the required dimming kits and is for the BioCube not sure it would fit in a NanoCube. I think I'd pickup a cheap used 150w viper light and go open top if temps go any higher. I've got a lead on one if it comes to that but I plan to get another tailspot so the canopy is really appealing. I don't have a massive eurobrace on this tank to knock jumpers unconscious.

mseepman 10-29-2012 04:57 PM

Well, there are other options on LED. 3 x 10W LED plus ELN60-48 plus a rheostat along with a little U-channel and you've got a sub $200 LED light.

Just saying....

miuYH 10-29-2012 05:31 PM

Those Touch Corals look awesome. Please take a picture for us when everything settles and opens up :)

Aquattro 10-29-2012 05:39 PM

There's gotta be a "I told ya so" somewhere in here :razz:

Leah 10-29-2012 05:39 PM

Did the sleeper come with the tank too?

lastlight 10-29-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 759319)
There's gotta be a "I told ya so" somewhere in here :razz:

The first tank in my sig was 2006 brad. My entire hobby career has been an I told you so. I mean I even had to buy another jackpost for under the floor I'd given the old one away!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah (Post 759320)
Did the sleeper come with the tank too?

Lol I didn't even notice my rugrat in the shot.

lastlight 10-29-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miuYH (Post 759317)
Those Touch Corals look awesome. Please take a picture for us when everything settles and opens up :)

I recall how nice both the torch and frogspawn looked years ago. I hope some tlc brings them back.

lockrookie 10-29-2012 06:05 PM

Good to see you back will follow as always

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

Enigma 10-29-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 759276)
Continue praying yesterday's top temp of 82F is not exceeded before summer comes and we hopefully get central AC!

These things get really hot, even the ones with just the CF bulbs. By the end of May my NC12 (which had CF bulbs) was reaching just past 82F, so I had to retire it.

I would recommend that you keep your eyes open for a chiller or that you move the tank to your basement.

The NC24 I'm working on is upstairs in our house, has DIY leds . . . and I know the chiller will be required some time in the spring for sure. I'll "T" off the return pump and carve out spots in the back of the hood for the tubes to pass through.

These are great little tanks . . . but the temperature issues are pronounced.

Leah 10-29-2012 06:57 PM

Tank looks great! Brett.

And I for one... have missed you around here. :wink: Glad to have you back on board. Canreef is just not the same without a few people. :lol:

Skimmerking 10-29-2012 06:59 PM

BRETT;
You
are
worst
then me
and
my skimmer's

lastlight 10-29-2012 07:14 PM

Haha thanks guys and yes Mike as fragged up as that is... I AM :mrgreen:

I still have a hole in the wall behind the couch so I can get a chiller (again) and run it from the basement if needed.

My Solana was totally fine with an open top if I recall correctly when I had the 4-fan unit clipped on it so there's another option. I'd then look at the Clip-on 150w Viper or maybe an LED. If I'm going to spend ballpark 250 I'd *maybe* look into a fixture like the vega. Thing is I honestly prefer the look of halides. At the end of the day what's any of the cost worth if when you look at the tank and don't like what you see?:neutral:

If we get AC then there is no issue as I would keep the main floor at 21. This current config hits 82F when the room is 22. I'd be content with a 78-82 swing it's the same range I ran on my last tank.

Leah 10-29-2012 07:31 PM

:laugh: I hate to admit but Mike is right...for once. :biggrin:

jorjef 10-29-2012 07:36 PM

Atta boy, welcome back to the asylum... I'll let you decide if it's the insane or sanctuary version.

kien 10-29-2012 07:38 PM

hey, great run today.

fishoholic 10-29-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 759273)
It's nice!

I like those tanks.

Your signature .. :lol: ....

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer King (Post 759340)
BRETT;
You
are
worst
then me
and
my skimmer's

I'd say equal not worse! :razz:

lastlight 10-29-2012 08:02 PM

Shelley did you ever try blowing a fan across the back chambers? That water is all exposed seems to me a 4-fan clip-on blowing down in there could do wonders. That's the cheapest and first thing I'm going to try =) We're cat owners again too and the canopy sorta gives me some peace of mind.

riceboy 10-29-2012 08:37 PM

lol welcome back my friend. i like your signature with all the previous tanks lol

sphelps 10-29-2012 09:52 PM

It was only a matter of time. Welcome back.

Snappy 10-30-2012 12:42 AM

WELCOME HOME BRETT!

Doug 10-30-2012 01:31 AM

Glad to see you back on the board Brett. And love the signature. :D

Coleus 10-30-2012 04:04 AM

Welcome back Brett, and it is not shameful to admit that you like to collect aptasia :)

lastlight 10-30-2012 04:24 AM

Lol at least I can buy a few peppermints and have a decent chance they'll eat them in such a small tank. Between wrasses and way more rock to hide in and forage for tastier morsels the 8 I bought either perished or ignored the aiptasia.

claymax 10-30-2012 05:31 AM

i can honestly say that throwing modular leds into my cube was one of the best upgrades ive done. 2:1 rb:nw is the way to go hands down IMO. im running 26 leds at 65, and 75% and my sps still thinks its a little much. the heatsink and all that fits into the hood just fine if you shave off some of the heatsink. i hit 82 once this summer but i think it was cause i have i skimmer feed pump, one skimmer pump a return pump and a circulation pump all running in my sump. i should probably plumb my skimmer into the overflow one of these days :redface:
oh and if you do buy from martin make sure you get the antec true silent fan, the only way to hear it is by touching my ear to my hood, super silent.

Dez 10-30-2012 02:50 PM

Over a year and a half on LEDs and my sps are still growing. I still have almost all of my original pieces except for the large colonies I've sold or given away...

Don't buy a new bulb, figure out your LED lighting. You won't regret it.

I didn't think you'd be back so soon, welcome back :)

Skimmerking 10-30-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 759419)
Glad to see you back on the board Brett. And love the signature. :D

Holy crap i just noticed that and they are all links to your tanks, Crap i better not try that with the Skimmers then I will eat bandwidth for sure..

Laurie that is enough out of you, just dont let Doug see that comment he will dig me for sure.:lol:

lastlight 10-30-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dez (Post 759520)
Don't buy a new bulb, figure out your LED lighting. You won't regret it.

I actually ordered two lol. I think they'll get harder to find so Dave's going to ask his suppliers to dig around in the warehouse trash cans to find a couple.

Down the road if I ever find myself upgrading to something a little bit bigger (zero chance I know what you're thinking) I'm sure the technology will be there. If I liked a single tank I've seen under LED more than halides I wouldn't hesitate to invest but regardless of what manufacturers claim I see disco ball effect in EVERY tank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer King (Post 759533)
Holy crap i just noticed that and they are all links to your tanks, Crap i better not try that with the Skimmers then I will eat bandwidth for sure..

Yeah Mike and one of my skimmers once became yours. Somehow we could create a space-time continuity hiccup if we're not careful here!