Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   frogspawn not looking too good (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87481)

canadianbudz604 06-26-2012 03:45 AM

frogspawn not looking too good

Well, its mouths on all 6 heads are showing, its not closed up, but its shrinking at a very fast rate. I have a 10g with 96w quad cfl. It was doing fine, I tested my water params and everything is good. I've change a gallon twice in 4 days, and I use rodi water. Flow hasn't changed and everything else is good in the tank. I added carbon and chemi pure to the tank last week, but took it out today because it hasn't been doing well since. Today, I put new carbon, and some filter floss. What could be the problem here?

jorjef 06-26-2012 03:47 AM

Any brown slimy crap around the heads?

canadianbudz604 06-26-2012 03:57 AM

brown slime

No brown slime/jelly anywhere
Sg 1.025
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
PH 8.2
Phos 0
Calcium 420

I heard if they die in the tank it will wreek havoc. My pc fixture bulb is about 5 months old if that matters

jorjef 06-26-2012 04:07 AM

There is a fleshie membrane (it's sometimes very translucent) that will go down the side of the skeleton from each head. If it's receded enough that you can see the white, white exposed skeleton on the top of the head you are in trouble. How do you fix it? don't really know.. It shouldn't be getting too much current either. Sometimes that will cause it to receded but not to the extent that you describe. It's the brown jelly that will nuke other LPS

canadianbudz604 06-26-2012 04:27 AM

I can see the membrane around the sides of the frogspawn but not on the top of the heads. Could it be splitting?

jorjef 06-26-2012 04:38 AM

If you can see the membrane that's good, it will eventually turn into the fleshie head of the frogspawn. The best way I can describe it is the membrane seals the skeleton head, like if you put a balloon over your finger tip, the balloon being the membrane/head and you finger the skeleton. The head of the skeleton should never be exposed to see a bare white skeleton. If it is really receded you will still see fleshie parts between the ribs on the top of the head, as long as they aren't floating loosely above the head and are tucked in tight you should be okay. I wouldn't think all the heads are splitting at same time. A picture would help.

canadianbudz604 06-26-2012 05:09 PM

grrr

still looks like sh!t, its gone from the size of a softball to the size of a baseball.... It almost seems like its not getting enough light maybe my bulbs are toast...

Cal_stir 06-26-2012 07:32 PM

You might have cleaned the water too fast with the carbon and chemipure and stressed it out.

mohammadali 06-26-2012 07:52 PM

my frogspawn died cuz it was out of water for 1 night
i kept it in my tank after 2 months i saw it grew up again its been really neon green now and really healthy

canadianbudz604 06-26-2012 10:05 PM

hmmm

Cal-stir I never thought of that, and now that I think of it when my tank was fairly dirty the frogspawn was loving it. I hope it recovers because if it dies when I'm not home it will screw my whole tank what can I do to help it