Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   PVC union help - leaking (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86242)

aquatechy 05-10-2012 01:45 AM

PVC union help - leaking

Hi guys,

Im having a bit of trouble with one of my PVC Unions. I was doing some plumbing modifications on one side the union, and when I screwed it back together Im getting a very slow leak from the threads on the union itself (not from where it connects to the pipes). Ahhhhh! :frown: Leaks are so frustrating. Any tips on how I can fix this??

Thanks.

reefwars 05-10-2012 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquatechy (Post 715245)
Hi guys,

Im having a bit of trouble with one of my PVC Unions. I was doing some plumbing modifications on one side the union, and when I screwed it back together Im getting a very slow leak from the threads on the union itself (not from where it connects to the pipes). Ahhhhh! :frown: Leaks are so frustrating. Any tips on how I can fix this??

Thanks.

teflon tape:)

aquatechy 05-10-2012 01:53 AM

Really? Right onto the union's threads? I thought we weren't supposed to do that??

reefwars 05-10-2012 02:05 AM

ive used and seen it used many times whats the issue??

mark 05-10-2012 02:10 AM

o-ring okay?

Nate 05-10-2012 02:20 AM

Check it

Check the o-ring not designed to be teflon taped...

Delphinus 05-10-2012 02:47 AM

Could be as simple as a grain of sand on the O-ring .. doesn't take much. Check for nicks or abrasions too. Worst case scenario, you can replace the O-ring. Home Depot, etc. carry various O-ring sizes but if you're really in a bind and can't find the right size, get one that's too big, cut it size and butt-end the cut ends together and glue together with superglue or frag glue. Should do the trick...

The Guy 05-10-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 715269)
Could be as simple as a grain of sand on the O-ring .. doesn't take much. Check for nicks or abrasions too. Worst case scenario, you can replace the O-ring. Home Depot, etc. carry various O-ring sizes but if you're really in a bind and can't find the right size, get one that's too big, cut it size and butt-end the cut ends together and glue together with superglue or frag glue. Should do the trick...

Lordco sells O-rings all sizes and cheap,also the O-ring may look ok as mentioned but for the cost replace it. Don't over tighten. :biggrin:

aquatechy 05-10-2012 06:11 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Im going out on a o-ring hunt this afternoon, i'll post the status soon

11purewater 11-07-2012 12:14 AM

Lubricate the 'o' ring with K-y.(not kidding,I use this trick when I'm building Hemo Dialysis systems, non toxic and water soluable.)This should also be done when installing an ro membrane for a better brine seal.