Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   melanurus wrasse (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89966)

Starry 09-20-2012 06:16 PM

melanurus wrasse

Planning on adding one to my 180 with fuge,that currently houses a plump lil mandarin. Think the wrasse would out compete the mandarin, or should be ok in a 180? Reason I wanna add the wrasse is for zoa nudies.

Proteus 09-20-2012 06:20 PM

Should be fine. I kept mandarin and melanaus and yellow coris. Along with 6 other wrasses no problem

reefwars 09-20-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starry (Post 748027)
Planning on adding one to my 180 with fuge,that currently houses a plump lil mandarin. Think the wrasse would out compete the mandarin, or should be ok in a 180? Reason I wanna add the wrasse is for zoa nudies.

youll be fine for the dragonette , but a melanarus alone is not enough to get rid of nudis.

unfortunately if they are in your display your gonna have to remove all your zoas for qt, its next to impossible to get rid of them without dipping.

if you need any advice i would be glad to help you i see nudis all the time, every store in town has them;)

Starry 09-20-2012 07:07 PM

Plan on doing that. unfortunatly my qt tank is full of montis from monti nudies, wanna clear those up first as they seem way more destructive,and harder to deal with. wrasse is more to catch any stragglers that are on the rock an sand after i remove the zoas to another tank.

doch 09-20-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus99 (Post 748028)
Should be fine. I kept mandarin and melanaus and yellow coris. Along with 6 other wrasses no problem

+1.

I have 7 wrasses (one is a leopard), with a melanarus, and a mandarin. No issues. Fat healthy fish.

Salt2Death 09-20-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doch (Post 748076)
+1.

I have 7 wrasses (one is a leopard), with a melanarus, and a mandarin. No issues. Fat healthy fish.

That is a beautifully stocked tank!

Sent Via Pirate Ship.......

reefwars 09-20-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starry (Post 748042)
Plan on doing that. unfortunatly my qt tank is full of montis from monti nudies, wanna clear those up first as they seem way more destructive,and harder to deal with. wrasse is more to catch any stragglers that are on the rock an sand after i remove the zoas to another tank.

exactly the wrasses help keep them in check after youve done the treatments.

what are you using to treat the montis with??

zoa eating nudis arnt hard to get rid of it just takes a few weeks of dips to be sure the eggs are gone:)

Starry 09-21-2012 02:04 AM

Combo of coral rx, luigos, poly ox, and flat worm exit. then a rinse and back into qt with 6 line.

Starry 09-21-2012 02:07 AM

Actually thinking with the monti nidies, only 5 pieces. might be better off scrapping them and starting with new pieces in 6 months.

fishytime 09-21-2012 02:59 AM

um.....I may have missed the memo or something but I dont ever remember reading anywhere that Halichoeres wrasses eat nudis.....flatworms and pyramid snails yes but nudis, no...perhaps one or two anecdotal reports but its not a general rule